• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do deer processors REALLY give you YOUR deer meat?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
The reason I ask this is because when I dropped off my deer at the processor last season I was told I get MY deer meat ONLY and nothing gets mixed with others.

Yet when I picked it up I saw a bunch of deer ribs with plenty of meat stacked on top of one another to be used for jerky or something they said.

My deer tasted great and it was a young one so I guess they gave me mine, but also when I dropped mine off there was a very large buck sitting outside that someone dropped off earlier, UN- field dressed, it's legs were sticking straight up like it was full of gas and rigors and stunk like faint rotting flesh a bit.

The butcher was complaining about this but I was hoping they did not expect anyone to eat that meat and was surely praying none of that crap got mixed with any of mine.

Last edited:
The reason I ask this is because when I dropped off my deer at the processor last season I was told I get MY deer meat ONLY and nothing gets mixed with others.

Yet when I picked it up I saw a bunch of deer ribs with plenty of meat stacked on top of one another to be used for jerky or something they said.

My deer tasted great and it was a young one so I guess they have me mine, but also when I dropped mi e off there was a very large buck sitting outside that someone dropped off earlier, UN- field dressed, it's legs were sticking straight up like it was full of gas and rigors and stuck like rotting flesh a bit.

The butcher was complaining about this but I was hoping they did not expect anyone to eat that meat and was surely praying none of that crap got mixed with any of mine.

Thats a great question, Im gonna watch this to see if someone in the buisness replies.

The bold part is nasty...lol

I always wondered myself. We seemed to get the same amount of meat every time, no matter what size deer we took. The clincher for me was when I took two good size does and received the same amount as when I took a small buck. We bought a grinder and never looked back.

I worked at a processor during the season for several years and we alway's did. Once it is skinned it is hung up in a cooler with a tag with your name on it. Then brought out one at a time & processed the way you wanted it.

Atleast that is how we done it

My deer tasted great and it was a young one so I guess they have me mine, but also when I dropped mi e off there was a very large buck sitting outside that someone dropped off earlier, UN- field dressed, it's legs were sticking straight up like it was full of gas and rigors and stuck like rotting flesh a bit.

Well my parents are in the business and I work with them throughout the season when they need extra help. We process all deer 1 at a time. We also process them as if we are doing it for ourselves, in case some does not pick it up(it happens more than it should). That way if they don't get it we just keep it and eat it. I can't speak for other places but I will speak for ours. It's a small family run business but we stay busy all season.

My last processed deer had too much buckshot in it considering I killed it with a bow(lol), skinned and quartered it before taking it there, and never saw such pristine venison when I left it. Asked the processor and he said I missed it! It also smelled of a rutting buck when it was supposed to be a doe. I actually enjoy the processing myself and save a little money now too.

Back
Top Bottom