• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do deer processors REALLY give you YOUR deer meat?

Keep a eye out fir bass pro at christmas time. Last year we got a lem grinder with stuffer attachment, a slicer and a vacuum sealer for $150. Its all lem brand. Its not their pro line stuff but all works pretty good.

I process all my own. Here is a list of things I use.

55 Gallon Blue Plastic Barrel cut in half (To catch the hide and blood and carcass)
Plastic Drop Cloth for my garage floor
Remote controlled 12 volt ATV Winch Mounted on a large beam in the ceiling of my garage
A steel bar hooked to the winch hook with carabiners on the ends for holding the deer up in the air
Sharp knives
Electric Meat Grinder (Manual Crank model for SHTF only)
Vacuum Sealer and bags
Zip Lock Bags
Ice Chest (For soaking meat in ice water)
Home Depot Buckets for use during processing.
Gibson Commercial upright freezer

I've never paid a processor. From the time I shoot a deer, i can have it cleaned and soaking in ice water in about 3 hours flat. It takes another 30 minutes to an hour after it soaks properly to grind up the hamburger, seal it and put it in the freezer.

OK, guess I'll weigh in on this one. Whether you get your own meat back or not depends on the processor. I cut meat for longer than a lot of the folks reading this have lived. That said most anyway that it gets to the freezer will make most hunters completely happy. They expect the meat to taste funny or wild or something anyway. Guess what folks; Robin Hood was shooting the Kings Deer! Deer were suitable for the table of the guy who ran the country.....that should tell you that the quality of the meat was excellent and comparable to anything else the King would have on the table.
Properly done venison will go head to head with Beef any day. That said I worked at a couple of processors years ago just to see how it was done. (The $200 per day was nice also). Most of the problems begin with the hunter. You blow the deer to hell and expect to get something back. The deer that was shot 5 times down the spine with a 300 Winchester magnum comes to mind. Dropped off in a grocery cart hair hide and all with instructions to cut the pork chops out and grind the rest. (Or as one man once said when he dropped his off, cut me all the beef steak out and grind the rest as pork sausage).
I could write an essay on what I’ve seen with processors. Instead I’ll just say this, learn to do it yourself! If you must use a processor make sure that he does do the deer one at a time (including the grinding) Some will process the deer but just keep all the grind meat out and do it all at the same time. Then they just add back to your box what you should have.
If you do decide to do it yourself try this tip. Process it into roasts during deer season. Large chunks that will be feeding the family during the winter as pot roasts or stews.. Come summer if you have any leftover then you can thaw it to grind or serve as steaks.

Keep a eye out fir bass pro at christmas time. Last year we got a lem grinder with stuffer attachment, a slicer and a vacuum sealer for $150. Its all lem brand. Its not their pro line stuff but all works pretty good.

Definitely start shopping toward the end of season. I got a good deal on a grinder with sausage stuffer attachments at Northern Tool on Black Friday about 4-5 years ago. It cost me around $100. Probably more than that now.

One we went to for years we asked about if actually got our deer back, and he said "we'll maybe....If you ask for a special cut off your deer like say the tenderloin then it comes off your deer, but on the ground meat we just line up a bunch of deer get all the meat off, weigh what each deer has then write that number on their tag. Ground all the meat and give you what poundage of meat your deer produced, so the ground meat probably isn't all yours."

I am going to start doing my own now.

In the past I have been to shops that do a high volume of deer every season just give you a box of meat back that comes from what ever is there. It was to stream line the process is my best guess. Other small family operations I have been to only processed ONE deer at a time. I always specifically ask about this when I drop off my deer somewhere. With that said, I usually just process my own unless I really do not have the time to do it.

This would be totally illegal and unethical. A couple of phone calls and they'd be slapped with some hefty fines. I guess here since the lack of tags makes them bold enough to violate the federal statues.

That being said, If you're around the NE Atlanta area, I am trying to work something out with a couple of Chef Instructor friends of mine via a club @ Le Cordon Bleu, Tucker. As I am Alumni and would know some interested parties at the school as well as a home for any meat that was donated towards a benevolence program aimed at feeding seniors during the holiday season and or a club meal if small amount.

This would be a way for current students to get their hands on a study tool.

Would need a record of exposure times and your actions from kill to drop off. Would also prefer if deer was field dressed, quartered and skinned, and blanched for as long as possible, (ideally 3 days) but not entirely necessary.

If you've any questions, I can advise or instruct on efficient means of performing above procedures without gutting the torso, but sacrificing the ribs/little flank (which isn't much or very good meat anyway).

If I can get this up and running within the next two weeks I'll make a post.

OK, guess I'll weigh in on this one. Whether you get your own meat back or not depends on the processor. I cut meat for longer than a lot of the folks reading this have lived. That said most anyway that it gets to the freezer will make most hunters completely happy. They expect the meat to taste funny or wild or something anyway. Guess what folks; Robin Hood was shooting the Kings Deer! Deer were suitable for the table of the guy who ran the country.....that should tell you that the quality of the meat was excellent and comparable to anything else the King would have on the table.
Properly done venison will go head to head with Beef any day. That said I worked at a couple of processors years ago just to see how it was done. (The $200 per day was nice also). Most of the problems begin with the hunter. You blow the deer to hell and expect to get something back. The deer that was shot 5 times down the spine with a 300 Winchester magnum comes to mind. Dropped off in a grocery cart hair hide and all with instructions to cut the pork chops out and grind the rest. (Or as one man once said when he dropped his off, cut me all the beef steak out and grind the rest as pork sausage).
I could write an essay on what I’ve seen with processors. Instead I’ll just say this, learn to do it yourself! If you must use a processor make sure that he does do the deer one at a time (including the grinding) Some will process the deer but just keep all the grind meat out and do it all at the same time. Then they just add back to your box what you should have.
If you do decide to do it yourself try this tip. Process it into roasts during deer season. Large chunks that will be feeding the family during the winter as pot roasts or stews.. Come summer if you have any leftover then you can thaw it to grind or serve as steaks.

Also this ^^ is very true. Bruised and thrashed meat is not edible, that's why I always attempt a neck/spine/head shot. Great advice though^.

It happens for sure. Won't name any names but it has happened to me without a doubt and with my brother in law at the same processor. Won't happen again though!

Back
Top Bottom