• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do deer processors REALLY give you YOUR deer meat?

I visited two processors years ago. One mixed and the other didn't but neither of them
cleaned the equipment between each deer. At that point, doesn't really matter if
you gets yours back or not.

Thats why I process everything myself!

Why not quarter up your own meat then take to processor then let them slice it up,make sausage,burger etc.That way you know the meat will be clean.I always processed mine with buddies one at a time.They run a small operation and every deer was returned to hunter which brought it in.If you don't have the time or skills to process find a small guy and stay away from the big outfits.

None of them are going to tear down their equipment between deer, it would be nice but they're not going to. Now if i found a processor that did, i would probably start using them and i would even pay a little more for the piece of mind.

I would like to know how to process myself... until then, I guess I will just trust the processeor

Its not hard if you have the time and space, but if you have time to hunt you have time to process. Depending on what you want to make will depend on the equipment you will need. A meat grinder is a must to makr burger and sausage, but making sausage will require a stuffer. Once you have all that, try different recipes for mixing the meat with fat and spices till you find what you like. Dont be afraid to experiment. What obe person thinks is the best, may not suite your pallet.

I keep seeing where people say they don't have the space to process. If you have a cooler, a fridge, a kitchen countertop, and a sink...you have room to process. I've processed elk with 4ft of countertop. You don't have to have a huge shop to do it!

I keep seeing where people say they don't have the space to process. If you have a cooler, a fridge, a kitchen countertop, and a sink...you have room to process. I've processed elk with 4ft of countertop. You don't have to have a huge shop to do it!

Couldn't agree more. Doesn't take a ton of space or really a ton of effort. Once you get the hang of it you can knock it out fast too. My first deer this season went from the ground to aging all of the meat in under 2 hours and then 3 days later it was all vacuum sealed in about 15 min. By the end of the season and on large deer I can knock off about 30-45 min of that time. The first one always takes a few extra minutes.
I don't own a grinder...yet. But I am in the market for one.

Back
Top Bottom