• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you crimp your .223 cases?

Lee factory crimp die for me

Ditto... I use the same die in a Dillon 550. Never had any problems- and even though they say that the factory crimp die allows for some longer than spec lengths, I still check the COAL when reloading.

I used to run a RCBS die in my single stage press, but set it to crimp after seating the bullet.

I alway crimp any auto ammo..

load all my 223 and 308 on my dillon 550 so having the Lee factory crimp (FCD) in the last station is a no brainer

to each his own but why take the chance on having a bullet pushed back into the case..

Bolt guns never, semi-auto ammo always and I also use the Lee FCD.

Cool, I'm a broke college student and only have the seating/crimp dies and I still don't own a case trimmer so I only load cases under max length(save the rest for later) and none are the exact same length. Every few rounds I'll get a circle bulged out at the bottom of the shoulder from a longer case. I didn't crimp my last batch to prevent this and was just worried.(All seated correctly and check OAL with digital calipers)

Also, I need to find a reasonably priced case trimmer.

Cool, I'm a broke college student and only have the seating/crimp dies and I still don't own a case trimmer so I only load cases under max length(save the rest for later) and none are the exact same length. Every few rounds I'll get a circle bulged out at the bottom of the shoulder from a longer case. I didn't crimp my last batch to prevent this and was just worried.(All seated correctly and check OAL with digital calipers)

Also, I need to find a reasonably priced case trimmer.

Is this a bolt action? Sounds like you may have a slightly short headspace.

Is this a bolt action? Sounds like you may have a slightly short headspace.

No I mean when seating the bullet and crimping at the same time, if the crimp is set for a shorter case a longer case will bulge and ruin the round. I don't know how you guys use one of those hammer bullet pullers i've tried a bunch and just ruin the bullet. All rounds chamber fine and when ejected show no recession into the case.

Back
Top Bottom