• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you notice any difference in the taste of deer?

Do you notice any difference in the taste of venison?

• No, I'll eat 'em all.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes, but not enough to matter.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I can't eat bucks or rutting bucks.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • All venison tacos are top shelf.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
Wish I had a meat locker but I don't. I shoot mine, gut and skin them within 2 hours. Then I debone the meat and put it in a cooler on ice for 3-4 days while I let the melted ice drain out and add new ice as needed. What do y'all think of that method?

I have a buddy who does the same but puts his meat in zip lock bags because he says being wet is bad for the meat?

I have always done the same thing, except I add a couple of cups of vinegar on top of the ice. Drain the water daily, and top off the ice, miminuim of 3 days.

No. The purpose here is to call into question the expertise of others. Your post was fine, but you need to include a question about how many smoothies have you made in x amount of time, the average number of ingredients used, and the type of smoothie maker that's used.
Ahh...I must be doing it all wrong. How about this?

I use 4-5 blenders everyday for my job. I blend so hard sometimes I blend 500 smoothies a day, when special blending duties need tending to. I use blenders everyday. Do you even blend, bro? If not, I'm putting you on my ignore list. You want to be number 46?

What type of machine do you use? I have a Blendtec and it's pretty much the cat's pajamas.
I use what killed JFK; a Magic Bullet.

Yall are all talking about hanging the deer up and letting the meat sit for a few days. Hell mine are usually skinned and gutted within 2 hours, then I'm usually grinding it the next day.

Yall are all talking about hanging the deer up and letting the meat sit for a few days. Hell mine are usually skinned and gutted within 2 hours, then I'm usually grinding it the next day.

They do age beef and back years ago a processor here in town named Frix used to keep the deer in the cooler for 5 or 6 days before processing.

When I asked her about it she said after everything dies it gets rigor mortis, so they wait until the muscles relax to process it.

I don't know if that's all true, but as a butcher they did a great job.

They do age beef and back years ago a processor here in town named Frix used to keep the deer in the cooler for 5 or 6 days before processing.

When I asked her about it she said after everything dies it gets rigor mortis, so they wait until the muscles relax to process it.

I believe it, I just personally haven't done it or taken one to a processor. The last deer I skinned had rigor mortise starting to set in, which made it a pain in the ass to work around. As far as taste the only thing I've noticed that has made a difference is if it was spooked or excited, the adrenaline seems to make the meat tougher, and even tougher to cut while quartering, not really a gamey taste but just a different taste...

I don't believe that to be uncommon. I think ideally they let them hang 5-7 days. I know mine does. In the thick of the season some run out of hanger space and probably start cutting sooner.

Back
Top Bottom