• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you shoot your heavy recoil guns?

GrumpyGus

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
0   0
Reaction score
giphy.gif

We all know recoil is different for everyone. A big burly football player can shoot 12 gauge slugs all day long and be OK, whereas if I shoot a 270 for 20 rounds I'm feeling a little bruised the next day.

Case in point: I've been shooting it for years now, but honestly I hate dragging out my Savage 25-06. Sure, that's not a heavy recoil for some (a little over 12 on the recoil scale) but it really bruises me up after 20 rounds. I hate it. The only reason I shoot it is because I can hunt with it and want to be proficient when hunting time comes around each year.

But recoil being what it is, if you have a heavy recoil gun - do you shoot it? Have you had to do something to get over your feelings about shooting it?

gifs_07.gif

I put a box of off through them to keep in practice and to get over the rookie flinch, Pads and muzzle brakes can help with that should issue.

Still haven't shot my .416 Rem mag...and it has a brake on it. I do shoot my .450 Marlin...its not too bad.
I put a brake on my 7MM STW and it is like shooting a .243.
My .264WM needs a brake tho...

I had a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 govt that was pretty stout with certain loads but not too awful bad, still fun to let other folks shoot that had no idea. Lol! I have a Ruger 1st gen Vaquero .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel and black buffalo horn grips my Dad gave me in the 90's, it's easy with Ga. Arms 260gr JHP's @ 850 fps. But put some Cor-Bon .45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr JSP's @ 1300 fps in it and it's a whole different animal. My son & I were at the range with it once and there were four Marines on leave in there too, they all came to our stall to see "What the hell are yall shooting?!" Now 3 of those Marines were about 6'3" maybe 6'4" and the other one was about my size, about 5'7" or 5'8". When I asked em' if they wanted to give it try I was sure all of em' would say yes but the big guys said "Hell NO I ain't shootin' that thing!" and the smaller guy said "Hell Yeah!" It was awesome, he loved it! Lol!

Nope, wish I could, a lifetime of shoulder abuse cost me the joint, the artificial hardware can't handle over 10 ft. lbs., of kick so limited to AR, AK calibers max, and when shooting a 3 gun match, the shotty has to be fired from the weak side, a real hindrance.

Back
Top Bottom