Does any body hunt with .223

make sure you get a 5 round mag, last i checked thats all you can have in GA. not a 10 or 30 rounder with only 5 rounds in it, but a mag that can hold no more than 5. i may be wrong though, its been years since i been huntin with a rifle that can hold more than 5 rounds lol.

Bullet choice will help a lot. The problem with a 223 is that the bullet is light and, in most cases, will either not penetrate very well (rapid expanding bullet) or will penetrate deeply with little or no expansion. I have gotten performance reports from many people for different bullets used in the 223 and the absolute winner is the Barnes 62 grain. It can be the TSX or the TTSX. They give you deep penetration with reliable expansion while retaining 99 to 100% of original weight.

With any 223 bullet you need to restrict your shots to broad side or quartering away. Do not shoot quartering toward you. Also, no shots passed 200 yards. The bullet will have lost to much energy beyond that distance to reliably make clean kills.

Use a bullet designed for medium sized game like the 64 grain soft point load from Winchester or Federal. There is also a TBBC from Federal, and I believe a Nosler Partition. The hollow point loads in the upper grain weights were designed for paper, and the smaller ones for varmints. Choose the bullet carefully, and don't take stupid shots.

It is my understanding that there is no magazine capacity restriction for deer hunting this season.
http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/general-hunting-information/

ahh cool. thanks for posting a link!!! good info there, i was trying to find that page lol.

Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.

thats why i said "i may be wrong" lol, gotta add the disclaimer.

Back
Top Bottom