• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone deer hunt for fun any more?

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Well, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and one thing that I'm especially thankful is that I was able to hunt during the hey day of deer hunting in Georgia - 1970's and 1980s The deer herd was expanding, you could get permission to hunt or the asking, and scoring a trophy deer was possible for anyone - we had a break at Thanksgiving so you could get some rabbit hunting in, limits were low, as was the overall pressure.

My "designer" camouflage was whatever shade of flannel shirt I was wearing that year. I would sit on a stump for the first 20 years I hunted deer, and did as well as anyone else around. I finally started using climbers and ladder stands for my own safety.

I could sit on a stump or log all day, and just watch the woods, and it was a religious experience, cleansing the soul.

But Lord have mercy, I read this and other forums (which are much worse) and folks worry so much about stuff that I just never think about, I have to wonder if they are really having any fun. Some body is hunting too close to the line, some one shot a little buck, someone is hunting too close to my stand, we shot all the does, we didn't shoot all the does, the worse is some one shot MY buck. You know, the one that is mine because it's on my camera and I have been feeding all year.

We are a trophy managed club, but the SOBs on the next property are brown and down. I want some way to manage their property for them, because I know better. Our club sucks, the members (except for me) suck.

The bullets I'm using suck because I made the perfect shot and the deer ran away. If it's not the bullet, it's the rifle - the deer ran off because I'm using the wrong rifle. My camouflage sucks, what is the newest, bestest pattern.

I'm about finished with hunting due to physical limitations and I know the interweb emphasizes the whiners and complainers, but how come I just don't see anyone posting about the wonderful day they had away from work, just sitting in the woods.

I'm so selfish when it comes to my deer hunting that I asked a good friend of mine who loves to hunt but doesn't have the funds to join a club to come and hunt the 20 acres that my Mother in law owns which borders our 600+ acre lease, and that I hoped he killed anything he wanted that was legal. Since my club area also borders that same tract, none of the members in my club can complain that he's too close. I am thankful to have a nice place to hunt so close to home, but it makes me feel better to know that my friend can enjoy a good place to hunt and could care less what anybody else thinks........

I guess you need to explain FUN. For some people, FUN is shooting at deer with no hope to hit it. For others, it is, as you say, a nice day in the woods. FUN for PETA is harassing hunters. I plan to hunt 1 Doe per year, use it strictly for food and share it with others.

I've been in my lease for 5 years now, but since I have the alpha-gal allergy and can't consume red meats, I have never taken a doe there since I became a member. Guess you can say I still do it for fun since I can't eat deer but still love to go........ It's still lots of fun to hint those wary bucks!

You don't have to harvest an animal to enjoy time in the woods. Just watching the woods come to life in the morning and putting nature to bed (so to speak) when the sun goes down is a spiritual experience. Just wish my dad, who taught me to love it as much as I do, was still around to enjoy it with my brother and I.

20171117_073539.jpg
I've actually had more fun this season taking pictures!
20171113_074309.jpg
20171110_174550.jpg
20171110_174546.jpg
View attachment 1398565
20171120_180340.jpg

You don't have to harvest an animal to enjoy time in the woods. Just watching the woods come to life in the morning and putting nature to bed (so to speak) when the sun goes down is a spiritual experience. Just wish my dad, who taught me to love it as much as I do, was still around to enjoy it with my brother and I.
Well said! I have many reflections while watching the sunrise in my box blind. Been three years of hospitals and saying my last goodby, to so many brothers in arms. I am going down Friday-Sunday to watch the sun rise at my food plot at camp. If I get a doe that will be a bonus..I don't hunt horns I have plenty on the wall, meat is all I care for, trophy time is over..

Perhaps you're just reading the wrong posts. Although I've noticed some of the complaints you mentioned, I see lots more posts on here of people who enjoy hunting.

I've got my two deer for the year, and I'm done hunting deer. But I'll probably keep going out to take pictures, hunt yotes, etc. Outside of being with my family, there's no place I'd rather be.

Back
Top Bottom