• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone still get access to hunt property by knocking on doors?

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
I've seen a few local places with good quality deer on or near them, but I don't know the property owners, I know years back it was nothing to knock on a door and ask permission to hunt their property but things have changed over the years. I thought about stopping in and knocking on doors and asking but didn't know if people frowned upon that now a days. I have my family's club but would like to find a spot in Gwinnett or walton to bow hunt during the week after work. I don't mind paying little money or splitting the meat if any of y'all have a spot you'd allow me to bow hunt on.

I haven't knocked on a door since 1985. It was great back then, nearly everybody in Washington County would know me by sight as my dad's son and give permission to me and my Yankee friends from GMC to hunt. That was a long time ago (it seems) but we were respectful, didn't tear up property with 4 wheelers, knock down fences, mud up creeks, leave trash all over, shoot at their cows, and we even picked up our shells. I don't hunt anymore but I hope most hunters are ethical and respectful of property owners.

I use to do that with my Uncle when I was younger.

He would always bring a jar of jelly with a business card attached and whether they said yes or no, he would give them the jelly and the card and wish them a good day.

He never hurried off and would pass the time of day with them. He would talk about the crops or the rain or the lack of it. He would give them a chance to get to know him a little......

I remember knocking on some doors several years in a row.
Some never called, some called a few days later and some didn't call until the 2nd or 3rd year we visited.
And always he had a jelly jar fixed up pretty by his wife with a business card on it.

He would always say, you don't know the answer until you ask!

We ended up hunting a lot of property that way. :becky:

I used to work w/ a guy that could walk across the parking lot to get something out of his truck and come back w/ 3 places to hunt and 5 fishing holes. I don't know how he did it, but he was a master at free-loading. :)
I know a few people like that too, my brother in law is the exact same. I'm not looking to do it for free, I'd pay or split meat with property owner. The people I've seen near my house that have good deer on them are older people so chances are greater in my eyes than if they were young yuppies. One spot is a church my distant cousin is a preacher at. But I'm not sure how he would feel about me killing something there haha.

I know a few people like that too, my brother in law is the exact same. I'm not looking to do it for free, I'd pay or split meat with property owner. The people I've seen near my house that have good deer on them are older people so chances are greater in my eyes than if they were young yuppies. One spot is a church my distant cousin is a preacher at. But I'm not sure how he would feel about me killing something there haha.

You can go on the county tax website to look for the property owner's name. Just stop and ask. Worse they can say is no. I know because of liabilities and unethical hunters (this guy was one); a lot of property owners do not want people on their lands. Good luck w/ the hunt!!

You can go on the county tax website to look for the property owner's name. Just stop and ask. Worse they can say is no. I know because of liabilities and unethical hunters (this guy was one); a lot of property owners do not want people on their lands. Good luck w/ the hunt!!
I didn't even think about looking for that info, thanks!

I didn't even think about looking for that info, thanks!

There is a great website based on the tax records for property searches. I use it a lot in my Trapping business to verify property lines. Just pull it up by county and it will give you a variety of ways to look up a property.

Also I do a fair amount of door knocking for metal detecting and gold prospecting permissions. A friendly smile and manners goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom