• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does Springfield armory test fire their new 1911s?

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a manufacturer that doesn’t test-fire their firearms before shipping.

The fired casing in the envelope that used to be shipped with a lot of firearms was because of Maryland’s Responsible Gun Safety Act of 2000. The law mandated firearms manufacturers provide state police with a spent bullet casing of every handgun to be sold in Maryland.

In an old fallout shelter beneath Maryland State Police headquarters in Pikesville, the state had amassed more than 300,000 bullet casings, one from each new handgun sold in Maryland since the law took effect. They filled three cavernous rooms secured by a common combination lock.

Each casing was meticulously stamped with a bar code, sealed in its own envelope and filed in boxes stacked from floor to ceiling. Forensic scientists photographed the casings in hopes the system would someday identify the owner of a gun fired at a crime scene. The system cost an estimated $5 million to set up and operate over the years.

It was never used to solve a single case, and was scrapped after 15 years. The plan was to sell off all the casings for scrap metal, but I don’t know exactly what they did with them.

If a gun was shipped to a dealer in Maryland, they took that fired case out of the box and sent it to the state police to be catalogued and stored.

Reason I ask is I just got a brand new 1911 Mil-Spec from Springfield and it had powder residue in the barrel. So just curious what you guys have experienced with their new firearms.

Love the mil-spec btw. I don't like a lot of fancy smancy stuff on my 1911s. Like ambi safeties and such. I'm not ambidextrous and no need for my firearm to be.
Makes sense to me......I do like an ambi just on the off chance I may have to shoot with my off hand. Which I can

Bro you can't start a thread like this and not post some eye candy !!
And yes it should have been test fired prior to leaving factory.
IMG_0318[1].JPG
IMG_0319[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom