• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Don't be this guy.

I for one believe open carry draws more attention and sometimes its not the kind hoped for.

While I'm not an advocate of Neck beards or people drawing and firing without justifiable cause, I am certainly all for anyone who wishes to exercise their right to legally openly carry a firearm.

I also believe that openly carrying a firearm may indeed draw attention, and it is sometimes this such attention that prevents acts of agression....... just sayin :noidea:

While I'm not an advocate of Neck beards or people drawing and firing without justifiable cause, I am certainly all for anyone who wishes to exercise their right to legally openly carry a firearm.

I also believe that openly carrying a firearm may indeed draw attention, and it is sometimes this such attention that prevents acts of agression....... just sayin :noidea:

You're in line at the gas station, starbucks, grocery store, etc. You have you're back to the door because that's how the store is laid out. An armed assailant or two intent on a quik robbery enters and see's you OCing. Are you the deterrent or the target? Ponder this.... I'm CCing behind you. You are now the distraction I need to finish them.

You're in line at the gas station, starbucks, grocery store, etc. You have you're back to the door because that's how the store is laid out. An armed assailant or two intent on a quik robbery enters and see's you OCing. Are you the deterrent or the target? Ponder this.... I'm CCing behind you. You are now the distraction I need to finish them.

Ghost, I know you are a LEO, and I'm not asking you to agree with me, but coming from a long line of LEO family members myself, please also understand that I have considered your concerns under much discussion with my own LEO family ....... you can not plan every situation, nor can you assume "every robber's intent"; with that said, I am comfortable OC'ing and taking certain every-day chances.

Do I OC everywhere I go? .... No

Are there certain situations where CC might be better? ..... Yes, I do not deny this,..... But It all depends upon the situation and your disposition in said matter.

Ghost, I know you are a LEO, and I'm not asking you to agree with me, but coming from a long line of LEO family members myself, please also understand that I have considered your concerns under much discussion with my own LEO family ....... you can not plan every situation, nor can you assume "every robber's intent"; with that said, I am comfortable OC'ing and taking certain every-day chances.

Do I OC everywhere I go? .... No

Are there certain situations where CC might be better? ..... Yes, I do not deny this,..... But It all depends upon the situation and your disposition in said matter.

Brother plz don't take offense. I'm really just posting food for thought. I surmise that MOST on here have a good bit of sense, tactical awareness, and presence of mind in most situations. I've said before, I believe, that I make it a cause to educate young officers on 2A laws and considerations; such as not demanding a GWL merely because someone is OCing. I'm a firm believer in carrying however you're comfortable, so long as there's a mind set that goes with it. I have just personally seen young folks OCing and completely oblivious to their surroundings.

I'm with ya, and by all means, please do not take offense to my retort either....

We will always come back to the deterrent Vs Target issue, or, the fact that you will serve better as a witness than a shooting victim. Some feel that openly carrying does provide as a deterrent to "Would-be" theives/robbers; others feel that you make yourself the first target in the shooting gallery by OCing .... I get all of that, and I also realize "newer carrying folks" may not not have taken that into consideration ..... but, there are that have.

I personally believe that not all theives/robbers are all that intelligent; If they are hell-bent on an execution style robbery, my OC'ing ass is obviously grass ..... But, I also take percentages into mind, based upon locale.

If they are like most oportunistic theives/robbers, my OC'ing ass may not only have deterred them from bothering me, but also prevented other good citizens/shop owner from having to deal with them as well.

It really comes down to which is more likely in your specific area ...... Semi-pro executioners, or, oportunistic thugs that quickly shy away from the slightest resistance to avoid identification/capture.

Obviously, either might occur, and I could end up on the losing end of such a debate, both physically and orally, but I continue to hedge my bets in my current area.

Last edited:
By the way, I forgot to commend you on your endeavour, as highlighted below; demanding a GWL/GWCL based upon the mere presence of a firearm is as intrusive (in my opinion) as requiring a State ID/DL for someone walking along a sidewalk!!

Brother plz don't take offense. I'm really just posting food for thought. I surmise that MOST on here have a good bit of sense, tactical awareness, and presence of mind in most situations. I've said before, I believe, that I make it a cause to educate young officers on 2A laws and considerations; such as not demanding a GWL merely because someone is OCing. I'm a firm believer in carrying however you're comfortable, so long as there's a mind set that goes with it. I have just personally seen young folks OCing and completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom