• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Downlineing for Stripers on Lanier

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Is anyone consistently successful doing this? Every once in a great while I'll catch a few fish this way, but about 90% of the time I'm lucky if I even catch one.

We’ve been catching them in Nottely by either trolling or finding on the Garmin and dropping 8” spoons. We’ve had pretty good success here lately. 8 one evening last week and 9 the following day. Not all days are that good but rarely we come home without catching stripper.

We’ve been catching them in Nottely by either trolling or finding on the Garmin and dropping 8” spoons. We’ve had pretty good success here lately. 8 one evening last week and 9 the following day. Not all days are that good but rarely we come home without catching stripper.
Neither of those is working on Lanier right now. At least not the way I do it.

Get your map out and find where the thermocline matches the bottom. Not all bottom is productive. You have to find where they are at that time of year. It is repeatable, though.

Be there well before sunrise. The bite doesn't last much past dawn. I've done it with herring when on a charter, but I use artificials when on my own. Also, I have done none of it on Lanier.

I used to do it a lot when my pops was alive, he was a fishing machine. We'd leave after midnight, get there and go catch bait and just wait for that magic hour and hang on. Just make sure you got good sonar equipment that'll keep you in the river channels and will pick up good schools of bait and fish. We lost lots of good tackle in the trees down there when we first started fishing that lake, took a while to get into some good fish but it was well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom