• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Downlineing for Stripers on Lanier

Guide had some small weights attached just above the leader. It seemed to work real well on keeping the baits down.
Most of my fishing experience is offshore, so striper fishing is pretty new to me.

Good stuff. Thanks!

What technique did you use to get the Herring down to 25 feet while trolling.
you might try a 1oz egg weight, a swivel and a 36" leader. Use a rod with a stiff backbone and a really soft tip. Once the tip goes down and stays down, crank the reel a few times before coming up with the rod.

I use to fish Carters a lot for Stripers only. Due to a stroke I sold my center console yrs ago..I have had great success with Gizzard Shad and Rainbows. Best time is fall and early spring and I target with Planer boards and Balloons. I also use Red Gamakatsu Circle Hooks. You can see the wake the Striper makes when he's coming to the bait..Rainbows tend to jump up to avoid the stripe, I solved this by poking one eye out and that works. I kept my bait health with a 30 gal Super Bait tank II

I use to fish Carters a lot for Stripers only. Due to a stroke I sold my center console yrs ago..I have had great success with Gizzard Shad and Rainbows. Best time is fall and early spring and I target with Planer boards and Balloons. I also use Red Gamakatsu Circle Hooks. You can see the wake the Striper makes when he's coming to the bait..Rainbows tend to jump up to avoid the stripe, I solved this by poking one eye out and that works. I kept my bait health with a 30 gal Super Bait tank II

Agree on the GamaKatsu 2/0 and for big baits, 1/0 usually. I never had one break. Small quality hooks catch some big fish.

If you have a quality reel with good drag, a good main line, and Seagaur flouro leader 15 - 17 lbs ( 17 lbs MAX) made a difference. We caught fish over 30 pounds on 15 pound test Seagaur fluorocarbon leader.

Don't let the light leader fool you, but the key is having a great drag on the reel (*set right"). We caught fish much bigger than the rated test strength on those leaders, many times.

Match the size of hook to the bait, Small hooks work just fine.
8-10' 10-15lb fluorocarbon leader connected to a swivel weight. on of course a frisky live blue back.
The above is all about what the fish sees, from the weight up, the fish could care less.
Big ass hooks, non frisky bait and weights too close to the bait will cause a lot of window shopping.

Agree on the GamaKatsu 2/0 and for big baits, 1/0 usually. I never had one break. Small quality hooks catch some big fish.

If you have a quality reel with good drag, a good main line, and Seagaur flouro leader 15 - 17 lbs ( 17 lbs MAX) made a difference. We caught fish over 30 pounds on 15 pound test Seagaur fluorocarbon leader.

Don't let the light leader fool you, but the key is having a great drag on the reel. We caught fish much bigger than the rated test strength on those leaders, many times.
I use the same line as well! I have 7 ft ugly sticks with 5500 C.3 reels

Split leaf felidemdrum.jpg

Put my Son on this one at Carters

I use the same line as well! I have 7 ft ugly sticks with 5500 C.3 reels

Oh hell yeah! Abu Garcia was good,

Used a few Abu Garcia at times in my day, but gravititaded towards Shimano after my bike riding days as a kid.

Shimano was the most smooth (and reliable) gear change as a kid, and that translated to my fishing days.

The drag in my adult years was phonemical. I have not bought one in many years, so I can't attest tot the quality today.

All I know was I caught at tons of Bass and Stripers on Shimano reels. I have no idea what their quality is today, though.

Back
Top Bottom