• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Downlineing for Stripers on Lanier

Take what you're doing and go to Carters Lake. You can thank me later.

Exactly what I thought when reading this, and I doubt it's what Bear44 wants to hear.

I only fished Lanier a few times with guides and guide friends at the time. It was OK, but not like Carters. That's not to say you are going to load the boat at Carters. It can be tough.

Bear, I wish I could help. I don't remember locations are Lanier specific strategies. Just make sure you are using light line on that clear water.

Get your map out and find where the thermocline matches the bottom. Not all bottom is productive. You have to find where they are at that time of year. It is repeatable, though.

Be there well before sunrise. The bite doesn't last much past dawn. I've done it with herring when on a charter, but I use artificials when on my own. Also, I have done none of it on Lanier.
Good info!

Exactly what I thought when reading this, and I doubt it's what Bear44 wants to hear.

I only fished Lanier a few times with guides and guide friends at the time. It was OK, but not like Carters. That's not to say you are going to load the boat at Carters. It can be tough.

Bear, I wish I could help. I don't remember locations are Lanier specific strategies. Just make sure you are using light line on that clear water.
Yeah, I may have to make that trip to Carters. Logistics are tough, though. I keep my boat at Lanier about 45 minutes from where I live. If I go to Carters it would make sense to bring the boat to my home the day before and leave from there in the morning.

I just went on a guided trip 2 weeks ago on Lanier. We caught about 10-12 stripers, biggest about 15 lbs. Our guide was using herring and we were trolling them about 20-25' deep in around 40-55' deep water. Most of our fishing was just above Browns Bridge. We kept moving around to find the fish, but had the best action up in that part of the lake.

We tried some areas down around the old "Cocktail Cove" area and back in some creeks around that area, but didn't do as well that far south.

Guide said the fish moved around quite a bit this time of year, so it's hit or miss on most days.

Wish I was more help, but I've never really targeted Stripers in the summer on Lanier.

Edit - Forgot to say we caught all of these fish from 7:00 AM - 11:30 AM.

I just went on a guided trip 2 weeks ago on Lanier. We caught about 10-12 stripers, biggest about 15 lbs. Our guide was using herring and we were trolling them about 20-25' deep in around 40-55' deep water. Most of our fishing was just above Browns Bridge. We kept moving around to find the fish, but had the best action up in that part of the lake.

We tried some areas down around the old "Cocktail Cove" area and back in some creeks around that area, but didn't do as well that far south.

Guide said the fish moved around quite a bit this time of year, so it's hit or miss on most days.

Wish I was more help, but I've never really targeted Stripers in the summer on Lanier.

Edit - Forgot to say we caught all of these fish from 7:00 AM - 11:30 AM.
Good stuff. Thanks!

What technique did you use to get the Herring down to 25 feet while trolling.

Back
Top Bottom