• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Downlineing for Stripers on Lanier

Took a friend and his son today. Didn't tear them up but the boy caught his first two Stripers and they were just the right size for a nine year old. His dad caught his first one and it was 10.8lbs.

A good day.

Did you change tactics, or hit some different areas of the lake?

Did you change tactics, or hit some different areas of the lake?
Changed tactics. Primary difference is using lighter weights when free lining and the same light weights once I switch over to down lining. I think I said 1/4oz and 1/2ov in an earlier post, but it's actually 1/8oz and 1/4oz. Apparently the Blue Backs look more natural with lighter weight.

Getting it figured out little bit by little bit.
20230808_093637(0).jpg
20230808_082557.jpg
20230808_081801.jpg

Oh hell yeah.

Big Stripers/hybrid/catfish are a hoot. But when you also snag a big Spotted Bass like that, what a day!
I didn't realize the huge school of Stripers I had been working was actually a bunch of Spotted Bass hanging in the tree tops about 30 feet down until I caught that one. Unfortunately I didn't have what I needed to target them. All I had for bait were big Blue Backs. If I'd had a handful of Shiners I probably would have tore them up.

Next time.

I guess I am six pages late to the party... Have you thought of joining one of the striper clubs? There is one on the Cumming side and one on the Oakwood side... They both meet monthly, and also have a monthly tournament. In the meetings they discuss the current patterns and techniques. I haven't participated in a couple years, but it is a great way to learn. About half the guys are in both clubs, as well as many of the guides.

This time of year, lead core trolling with 2-3oz bucktail jigs down the main channel is pretty productive. I think it was 7 colors out, and that should get you down, but keep you above the tree tops in the main channels.

Downlining is typically blue backs about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the bottom. This time of year, you need a longer leader, like 8-10 feet, and a 1.5-2oz weight. You need to have a good fish finder to find out where they are hanging and they move a lot, so might be there one day, not the next, but back again the third day. Watch the spots you always see other people fishing.

And the spots are chasing the bluebacks too. Both spots and bluebacks are invasive species introduced by the fishermen in the mid-late 90s. So you will see schools of both stripers and spots chasing the schools of herring around. The bait fish schools are really what you are looking for on the fish finder. If you find those, the stripers and spots are sure to follow.
On FB, Lake Lanier Fishing Buddies is probably the best of the groups to follow. There are several others (Lake Lanier Angler, North GA Fishing Friends). And as mentioned, a guide trip a couple times a year will teach you where to go, and more importantly, how to look.

Tight Lines!

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 10
Yeap it’s not to hard
In the spring I freeline 2 rods out the back with no weights and 2 more rods with planner boards on them and 1 short rod out the back about 20ft behind boat.
Total of 5rods out
When they go deep I pull leadcore as a search tool.
When I find them I downline 4 lone counter reels with 2oz weights and 8ft fluorocarbon leaders and drop it right to them
The key is to having good lively bait
They won’t hit one half dead
You need a good bait tank to keep blue backs

Back
Top Bottom