• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Downlineing for Stripers on Lanier

Wait, what? There has got to be more info that what we've read. I hope not was not a traumatic experience..
LOL, no traumatic experience at all, I’ve had many boats and I usually keep them 2 or 3 years, but after this one there will be no more. I would like to take it to Florida one time before I sell it, but honestly I don’t see it happening. I’m just done with fishing.

Lanier can actually fish better in the afternoon's from now through late summer. Look up the generation schedule and be on the water during those times. I'd key in from Three Sisters and further south...Young Deer, Six Mile, Bald Ridge. Finding submerged humps is an easy way to start graphing around for fish.

Lanier can actually fish better in the afternoon's from now through late summer. Look up the generation schedule and be on the water during those times. I'd key in from Three Sisters and further south...Young Deer, Six Mile, Bald Ridge. Finding submerged humps is an easy way to start graphing around for fish.

That's where I usually went. Put in at 6 mile and troll out to 3 Sisters and back. When they would generate it would pick up when that water was moving more.

Agree on the GamaKatsu 2/0 and for big baits, 1/0 usually. I never had one break. Small quality hooks catch some big fish.

If you have a quality reel with good drag, a good main line, and Seagaur flouro leader 15 - 17 lbs ( 17 lbs MAX) made a difference. We caught fish over 30 pounds on 15 pound test Seagaur fluorocarbon leader.

Don't let the light leader fool you, but the key is having a great drag on the reel (*set right"). We caught fish much bigger than the rated test strength on those leaders, many times.
It depends on the situation. The first Striper I ever caught was 43lbs on 14lb test. But that was in open water with almost no structure. I lost three big fish today on 15lb test leader. The first one just broke the line, so I backed the drag setting off on my rods. Two hit one right after the other. I couldn't stop the first one from getting into the trees and the second one was already in them and gone by the time I broke the first one off. I just changed all my leaders to 20lb Seagaur. Maybe fewer bites, but a much better chance of landing big fish.

Match the size of hook to the bait, Small hooks work just fine.
8-10' 10-15lb fluorocarbon leader connected to a swivel weight. on of course a frisky live blue back.
The above is all about what the fish sees, from the weight up, the fish could care less.
Big ass hooks, non frisky bait and weights too close to the bait will cause a lot of window shopping.
I think lighter weights help, too. That was one of the things I changed today. I went from 2oz to 1/2oz. I think the bait can move better and look more natural. I've been getting skunked in the Summers way too often for years and today I had seven strikes and put three of them in the boat. The biggest one I could land was just under eight pounds. Nothing special, but the #4 circle hook had no problem with him. Two of the three big ones I lost were on a #1 and the third was also on a #4.

No doubt! I'm not having any problem at all finding good schools of fish. You can look at a topo chart and damn near pinpoint were they'll be and be right at least a third of the time. The issue is getting them to eat once you find them.

You still catching them at west point

No doubt! I'm not having any problem at all finding good schools of fish. You can look at a topo chart and damn near pinpoint were they'll be and be right at least a third of the time. The issue is getting them to eat once you find them.
If you are marking fish get the big spoons out and power reel through them. Make them react to the bait.

If you are marking fish get the big spoons out and power reel through them. Make them react to the bait.
I've tried the big flutter spoons, but have not been confidant in presentation. Never tried power reeling. I will now.

Drop it to the bottom and just crank the hell out of it coming up?

Back
Top Bottom