• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DRW vs SRW

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Is anyone bored this evening and willing to entertain me?

So here's the scenario. I pull a 20' enclosed trailer all over the eastern United States. Max weight will rarely ever exceed 10,000#. Well under the GVWR of an F250 or F350 either SRW or DRW. With that being said I wouldn't be opposed to growing in the future to larger trailers but for the foreseeable future that isn't playing a roll in the decision making.

Currently I use an F250 with 7,500# air bags and all is well. Truck pulls, stops, maneuvers and does everything perfectly. Problem is the short bed isn't cutting it anymore, the cloth isn't cutting it anymore and to be perfectly honest the new Super Duty looks great.

I have spoken to several people in the business and it's a fairly even split. Half say the benefits of a dually's stability and safety far out weigh the negatives. The other half says a dually is overkill for the size of the load and they prefer a SRW.

I have driven both configurations and the dually drove, accelerated and handled much smoother than the longed SRW 250. The issue is I just don't feel I can justify that much truck for an average 8,000# load.

Here's the kicker. The prices are the exact same.

61fe58d7677649ee974e87850d8a0c2d.jpg
white_gold_caribou_2baeb8b1d9df94a1d351b8c501740f62d36e5a0f.jpg

I have owned several of both I'm all about SRW. I don't see myself ever buying a dually again...and I hate short bed trucks even though I own one now.

Dually costs more to keep rubber on, makes a big ass truck even harder to find a spot to park in, makes drive thrus next to impossible and the already nose heavy ass light truck gets even lighter when you spread that weight out across 4 tires.

My DRW got stuck more, and hydroplaned MUCH more

Back
Top Bottom