• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Eating in the fifties

I bet prostitutes were less than a $1 too ! :becky:
$5 in Saigon, 2-3 in rural (jungle) areas or if you didn't carry cash Which falls apart in river crossings, a complete C Rat Meal could be traded for 30 min (don't ask how I know) :rolleyes:

I had to fix one part

befunky_2022-8-0_22-47-19.jpg

Yep, when I was growing up you ate what they put in front of you or you didn't eat at all. And you weren't asked what you want. You dealt with what you got
This.... I do not remember my Mother EVER asking us what we wanted to eat. You ate what she put on the table, or you went hungry.

You cleaned your plate and liked it! Breakfast Had homemade biscuits gravy and fried streak of lean cured at home and eggs layer by our chickens. Lunch was usually leftover biscuits with homemade butter and homemade muscadine jelly supper usually had crackling corn bread and big pot of pinto beans, fried onions and taters cooked in hog lard from when we killed hog and cooked cracklings out ! We raised hogs, cows, and chickens . Our eggs came from the hens and what meat we had came from what we raised other than a few rabbits and quail. We raised big gard n every year and canned for winter! Very little but as bought in town. Thinking back it was still a good life! You appreciated what you had!
Don’t think it could be said any better! I miss all the good cooking from my mom and grandma. Only can stuff we had came from what we canned from the garden. We traded fresh eggs for beef and milk / buttermilk with our neighbors and made our on sausage, bacon, pork chops and fatback. Yes sir…we really had it good.

Back
Top Bottom