• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Eating in the fifties

Cell phones in the 50’s ??

4E2455ED-B310-4ABF-8D1A-E320FF5A1E4F.jpeg

Don’t think it could be said any better! I miss all the good cooking from my mom and grandma. Only can stuff we had came from what we canned from the garden. We traded fresh eggs for beef and milk / buttermilk with our neighbors and made our on sausage, bacon, pork chops and fatback. Yes sir…we really had it good.
I remember raising hogs when I was a little kid. On butchering day we always had fresh sausage. I was in grade school and I remember that being the best sausage I ever had

Unless I'm misremembering, bran (late 80's health craze) was something used for feeding livestock and "Select" grade meats were sold (late 60's, early 70's) to customers at my dad's grocery store for feeding their dogs.

I put some of the french's fried onions
in my cornbread batter. Try crumpled
bacon bits instead of just the grease.
Cornbread topping is about my only
use for molasses. Don't know about
ya'll but I'm getting hungry
The fried onions sounds pretty damn good… I’m gonna try that.
Yea, I’m getting hungry

Unless I'm misremembering, bran (late 80's health craze) was something used for feeding livestock and "Select" grade meats were sold to customers at my dad's grocery store for feeding their dogs.
Don’t know about that but…what I do remember was my grandpa would go to the local school and get buckets of food for the pigs…aka pig slop

Don’t know about that but…what I do remember was my grandpa would go to the local school and get buckets of food for the pigs…aka pig slop
When I worked at Kroger (nights while at UGA in 80's) we dumped all the sweet goods (baked items) that were out of date in a locked dumpster (to keep the bums from rummaging) for the local hog farmer to pick up.

Back
Top Bottom