• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Eating in the fifties

We traded a steer a year to the family down the road for their hogs and chickens.

Hog killin was the weekend before Thanksgiving every year. 1/2 of a long chest freezer with pork. Chickens were just catch and kill as needed.

Milked our own cow, made butter and buttermilk from the fresh milk.

God, I love pasteurized milk! Can't believe I used to drink that thick stuff back then......

Well I dun do'od it.
Had to make a batch of onionfied cornbread.
Needed something to go with the steamed cabbage.
Cabbage thrown in pan after the bacon strips came out.
Crumbled a few strips into the cabbage. Dash of hot sauce.
Tad of butter. now let's see, what to drink........

I WORKED WITH A GUY WHO TOLD A STORY OF HOW HE WENT FROM WOODSTOCK TO MARIETTA IN THE EARLY 60'S TO TRY SOME PIZZA, THEY HEARED ABOUT IT FROM FRIENDS BUT DIDNT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT WAS. ON THE WAY BACK HE GOT PULLED OVER BY A COP FOR SPEEDING, HE GAVE THE OFFICER A SLICE OF LEFT OVER PIZZA AND THE OFFICER LIKE IT SO MUCH LET HIM GO.

I WORKED WITH A GUY WHO TOLD A STORY OF HOW HE WENT FROM WOODSTOCK TO MARIETTA IN THE EARLY 60'S TO TRY SOME PIZZA, THEY HEARED ABOUT IT FROM FRIENDS BUT DIDNT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT WAS. ON THE WAY BACK HE GOT PULLED OVER BY A COP FOR SPEEDING, HE GAVE THE OFFICER A SLICE OF LEFT OVER PIZZA AND THE OFFICER LIKE IT SO MUCH LET HIM GO.
Hmmm....in the early 80's a "slice of pizza" was code speak for a spliff.

When I worked at Kroger (nights while at UGA in 80's) we dumped all the sweet goods (baked items) that were out of date in a locked dumpster (to keep the bums from rummaging) for the local hog farmer to pick up.
Yep. We did that. We dumped package, wrappers and all into the hog pen. Wouldn't be a trace of anything left next day and I place champion, grand champion and reserve champ 3 years in a row with my day old, out of date fed hogs.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Cell phones in the 50’s ??

4E2455ED-B310-4ABF-8D1A-E320FF5A1E4F.jpeg
Cell phone = one phone call.
Although, that was more like cell block phone.

When I worked at Kroger (nights while at UGA in 80's) we dumped all the sweet goods (baked items) that were out of date in a locked dumpster (to keep the bums from rummaging) for the local hog farmer to pick up.
Dirty Jobs had a show on pig farm in Nevada. They got all the left-overs from Vegas hotels. Probably best fed pigs in the world.

Back
Top Bottom