• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ecoboost 3.5L V6

I work for Ford, and I can tell you the EcoBoost is a BAD A$$ engine. 365 HP to the 5.0 360 HP. No turbo lag. It is an amazing engine. Pair it with 3.73 gears and you are good to go!
If anybody here is in the Athens area, stop by Athens Ford and I'll be happy to show you why its the best selling engine in the best selling pickup in the world!

I don't know how much of that torture test I can believe because it was done by Ford not a outside party. I'm not hating on it, I just don't trust the technology yet. Good old V8 power has been around a long time and it's time tested. Besides its kinda traditional for a full size truck to be a V8. It's like peanut butter and jelly. It just works. I think the whole ecoboost technology needs more time in my mind. Til then, Hemi power!

My dad bought a brand new F-150 in July. He went with the 5.0, his reasoning being the 3.5 was unproven technology. I agree with him. Everyone I know or have talked to with the 3.5 love them and swear by them. I say to them, let me know how that goes 5 years from now...
Hmm, the guys at Cosworth would appreciate that. That motor has been in use for quite a few years in Europe under developement and production with a great track record. As others stated its offered in other vehicle models as well and the base of the motor block is super strong. The top end of the motor is very advanced yet durable. Shim under bucket valve train was used in a few older Japanese cars and is common place in modern high performance motorcycle engines.Fortunately for your father, the new 5.0 is a great motor and can trace parts of its developement back to previous "cammer" motors and the new 3.5
Has nothing in common with the old 302's we remember save for the 5Lt displacement.
The torture test videos are fun to watch! I love Mike Rowe and dirty jobs! And I want a Bi Turbo truck!!!

I bought a Ram 1500 Hemi instead :-)

That's what I'm talking about. I've had 2 new rams over the past years and love love love the ram with the hemi. I just flow masters on mine and love it. Give us some details on what you got and I have some nerd bars for the quad cab if your interested.

My dad bought a brand new F-150 in July. He went with the 5.0, his reasoning being the 3.5 was unproven technology. I agree with him. Everyone I know or have talked to with the 3.5 love them and swear by them. I say to them, let me know how that goes 5 years from now...

This is what my father-in-law went with and he loves his - stepped down from the 5.7(?) in his old F150 after 145,000 miles
Me? I'd love to have a 3.0 turbo DI diesel in an F150 - great torque to tow the bass boat and good mileage to boot. But don't see anyone coming up with that,wonder why?

I believe you are talking about the 5.4L V8's. I agree though, I don't really want to be a "beta tester" for a new engine. No one knows except Ford how these engines hold up past 100,000 miles. Call me old fashion but diesels and big V8's in full size trucks just seem right.

Also, it wasn't just the Hemi V8 or price that made me go with the Ram. It was, believe it or not, build quality and the Ram just looks better. Funny thing I noticed about the F150 was when you closed the door you could feel it all the way through the cabin. Like the truck just went over some train tracks. Also, the 2012 grill didn't really appeal to me. I wasn't a fan of the rear tail lights. The Ram on the other hand closes like a vault. Looks better than any truck out there and is far for comfortable to drive around in than any truck I've ever driven. The interior is much nicer than the Ford as well. I couldn't believe how far the Ram has come. Looks like they made very good use of that bail-out money. I haven't really found anything I don't like about this truck either. It came with a 100,000 miles powertrain and I got a 70,000 mile bumper to bumper which includes oil changes and tire rotations. It did cost less than the Ford, like $4,000 less, but feels $4,000 more expensive than the Ford but also had more standard options. I think maybe Ford is a little to proud of their trucks. I'm a very happy camper with my decision to go with the Ram.

i380.photobucket.com_albums_oo246_sinac84_IMAG0481.jpg

Last edited:
My 89 Ford Bronco full size is still very strong with its original 302 (5.0). Yes, I'm very well aware that they are two different beasts, but if an almost 24 year old truck can run as strong as it does, I'm staying V8. Oh, and the MPG difference between my 07 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 and my Bronco is less than 2 mpg around town.

Back
Top Bottom