• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

EDC accuracy requirements

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I am just curious what your personal requirement for EDC accuracy is? I am curious if its 2" @ 25 yards or minute of man @ 3 yards

I very much doubt if I will ever defend myself shooting from a bench. I need a handgun that will group well and hit center mass out to 30-40 feet. Some guys are exceptions but any farther and handguns just aren't as practical. I practice two handed, one handed, and with both hands. Handguns are made for close range and I need something I can shoot accurate consistently. 10-20 feet is where I practice most often. My Glock 27 does just fine from up close out to 30+ feet, free handed.

Minute of man at 3 yards sounds about right.

I shoot a lot and really enjoy bullseye matches. However I would never expect to shoot at a bad guy's head while he's standing behind a hostage. And if I'm in a self defense situation from more than about 20 feet away, then I'm likely being shot at and priority one is likely getting to cover. (ok- the longest line of sight in my house is about 50 feet- so 20 feet is a little short)

I realize the chance of needing to make a 25 yard hostage shot is fairly rare. I also realize that most shots are going to be within 3-7 yards. That said I feel a lot better carrying something capable of making a head shot at 25 yards. What that means to me is an armadillo at 25 yards or possibly a rabid water bottle. I figure if nothing else it provides confidence. I realize defensive shooting and target shooting are two different creatures. However with both I want to shoot where I am aiming. I did not set out for this to be my criteria but I have found I feel better carrying a gun that I can shoot the 6 1/2 plate rack with fairly regular. I realize most guns can do this but I like to carry one that I have the ability to do it with. This is the reason I am carrying my Glock 19 more and more. I can shoot it with my 26 but I realize there is room for improvement. I know the gun can do it is simply operator error when it doesnt. I find I shoot my S&W model 60 well enough to do it pretty regular. No dount most of my shooting is done from 2-12 yards.

Most pistols will shoot better than most shooters. A few exceptions are the micro derringers but for what they are they serve a purpose. Practice enough to know where minute of man ends with and without a rest, then see how far you can thread the needle as well. Best to know one's practical limitations.

Most gun fights are in talking distances here in the states.

I just want center of mass at room distance. I'm not anticipating that as a given with my heart pounding out of my chest during an attack. Maybe 1/3 room distance.

Back
Top Bottom