• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric cars

snatch3838

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Vehicle / Equipment Dealer
130   1
Reaction score
I wanted to go a slightly different route with this tread. Instead of posting a car I have for sale, I want to start a thread with a few different videos short ones just to highliight a few thing about electric cars. As a salesman I hear a good deal of objections to electric cars and their inherent differences. Most of these objections are actually not wrong but merely outdated. Please post a question, please post the craziest thing you have heard, or even a comment to let me know you watched. If you like you can post a hybrid or a plug in hybrid question too!

One of the things I wonder about though is if you are driving, and the charge gets low, you just can’t pull into a charge station and charge up in a few minutes , right ?
I mean, it’s not like a gasoline car where you can just pull over and fuel up in a few minutes and then be on the way.
Or am I missing something??

this is the question from 41mag

Yes you can there are charge stations everywhere, North Dakota and Wyoming a whole lot less, the navigation on the car will tell you where they are.

the time is what most people worry about so let me give you a few examples

stop into a supercharger at the high voltage it will charge the. Car 10 to 80 percent in 18min with Hyundai and Genesis the Tesla and Nissan are about thirty. I have not reaserched the others barands as much.

The next thing is plug it up at home, to top your battery off every night, the 110 is just a toppper but charge every night while you sleep, eat, watch TV or play on the ODT.

Last a 220 outlet can provide you with enough charge to go from 0 to 100% on 7 hours so just top off as you sleep. BTW the electric companies give reduced rates betheen midnight and 7am. These are the level 2 chargers and range from 189 to 1200 and can be installed in your garage bu a competit electrician.

Now the at home charging only requires to plung in then unplug a 30 second activity seven days a week, three and a half minutes to top off. most people ay they take 8 to 15 minutes at a gas station (remember you are going out of your way to a gas station you always go home so the time starts when you pull off the main road)

lets post the cost to replace the battery's when they fail i have seen receipt of 29K on a chevy
pro carry 2 posted this when in for sale area

yes batteries are very expensive 9k to 30K is what I would expect on most depending on the make model and size.

There are a few things to compare too and remember before scoffing at the price

The first is that a engine replacement NEW from a dealer is not cheap either.

The second is that you also ove the course of the life paid a whole lot less for fuel the average cost to GO is about 15 to 25% of the fuel prices. That also depends on who is in office, how things are going with OPEC and various shipping and refining cost (remember the hurricane that took out refinery in New Orleans and how that changed fuel prices in 2004 if I remember the year right). Also you save an oil change every few thousand miles.

The third is that the warranty on the batteries. I am with Hyundai and Genesis we are at 7 years on our battery.

Special note fore all those like me that like to shop local to keep your money in your community or as much as possible since everuthing is global now.

When you buy your fuel you are shopping oil producing areas no matter what.

when you buy electricity it is made here in your area and added bonus Comerce is construction a new battery plant for EV

Battery life and replacement cost is its biggest modern disadvantage. There is the cost of electricity to actually charge your vehicle. It’s a common misconception that charging an e/v is cheap when compared to gas. It’s true that you can save money by charging during off peak hours, but how much cheaper is it really? There is also the additional cost to retrofit your home with a level 2 charger. These additional cost compound on top of an already expensive vehicle. This is what’s holding back a lot of buyers. The range is also a major concern. How are you going to charge it on a long trip?

Modern quality combustion vehicles are going to last 300k miles if properly maintained. That combustion vehicle will last for 20 to 25 years before it’s probably suffering from age and will need some serious repairs. You will have swapped the battery out one in an e/v, and probably be close to a second swap. These swaps really add up when it comes to the long term ownership costs of an e/v.

What we need a solid state battery which doesn’t degrade that can provide a huge amount of range.

Hopefully battery technology will advance; Lithium is a scarce commodity, very "dirty" to mine and process, and some projections suggest there's less than 100 years worth available.

One current factor is the existing energy distribution networks couldn't support a major increase in demand. Lead time on transformers can be over 2 years, cable supplies are also a challenge. Significant upgrades would be required to support widespread home charging, and if everyone's charging overnight the peak demand will take a lot to balance against capacity.

Hopefully battery technology will advance; Lithium is a scarce commodity, very "dirty" to mine and process, and some projections suggest there's less than 100 years worth available.

One current factor is the existing energy distribution networks couldn't support a major increase in demand. Lead time on transformers can be over 2 years, cable supplies are also a challenge. Significant upgrades would be required to support widespread home charging, and if everyone's charging overnight the peak demand will take a lot to balance against capacity.
This is very true there are several different avenues to go down in battery tech, most major Japanese manufactures are wanting to have a swapable suitcase of a battery. To swap out like your grills propane tanks. There are several battery companies that are working on no lithium batteries. Lead acid has remained tha dominant force for years, lithium on a mass produced scale is only about two decades old ( radially available products not its inception as a battery), Undicided with Matt feral is a great YouTube channel for alternative battery concepts. Salt, graphite and concrete are all types I heard about. The key is energy density vs weight to be a viable product and be readily available to make it cheap. This is the major factor in me advising to lease electric vehicles. This is a personal preference based off tech changing every few years and the majority of current electric customers are not the same customers who are buying a car once every twenty years and driving the wheels off. Most trade within 5 years. Insider information here (the national average to swap a vehicle is 27 months and is the driving factor that Mercedes Benz offers a 27 month lease.)

Do electric car makers sell these jalopies to rental car companies so they can prove themselves in the marketplace ?
Yes Hertz has a major ad now about EV. Being in the car business I can attest to the fact models which are sold to rental companies are devalued At a high rate than models which are only sold to the public.

Back
Top Bottom