• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric cars

My real argument is about the long term cost of ownership. If you bought a long range Tesla 3 and a similar equipped Toyota Camry the initial purchase price difference is $13000. The Tesla will break even at around 7 years if your drive 14k a year. Problem is that between year 10-15 you’re going to need to replace the Tesla battery. This will currently cost $13k. That basically starts the clock over. In the long term you won’t save very much money. You may end up paying more because the resell value on an e/v is going to always be worse dir to the nature of its battery degradation.

The key is if you plan on driving a ton with an e/v. This may be a problem due to the current fast charger infrastructure and availability. This is where I think a stop gap comes into play. Hence why Toyota is sticking with hybrid technology. You’re really getting the best of both worlds with battery’s that cost a fraction of an e/v’s battery pack. My Prius V still gets 44’miles a gallon and she’s 11 years old. Battery replacement cost is 3k. The new Prius’s get around 60 miles per gallon and I would expect their batteries to be of even higher more long lasting quality.
You are correct the degrade of a battery over time is a factor but ev tech is fueling hybrid tech. the miles per gallon is getting better on the hybrids especially the plug in hybrids. The different style driving should dictate the choices made by the end user. Multiple car = ev / short commute = plug in hybrid / lots of miles on the commute or irregular intervals where charging stations are full or unavalible= reg hybrid / if you tow you need a truck just no way around that one

well.....my brother has/had that exact Hyundai model....he has put in for the "lemon law" buyout...of course, that's just the car, not the principal of battery power....So, I read in the Epoch Times a couple weeks ago about a guy, who lives in Canada, bought a Ford Lighting, and took his family on a two week vacation, through Canada and northern United States....so, all had to be planned around recharging stations...you get this....you don't plan your trip around things for the family, you plan your trip around charging stations....sounds like fun....right???....well soon into his trip, after paying one place a bit over $50 to charge his truck to 80%...he's on his way to the next charging station....get there with 20% left....station doesn't work....plots a new course to the next available station....hits it with around 2-5% remaining power....that station doesn't work either....come to find out, it's a problem with the truck.....so....tow it to the Ford dealer, rent a Toyota(gas)....and continue on vacation....THEY ARE PUSHING THIS TECHOLOGY TOO DAMN FAST!!!! why....I wonder, well, we actually we all know that answer...don't we
If you buy an EV, just remember it's nothing more than a supped up golf cart, barely capable of running around town....a fellow used to have be pretty rich to buy a Town Car....

Dont like the thought of riding around with $30,000 worth of fire bombs underneath my ass. No thanks.

I’m good with my ride.
IMG_2219.jpeg

Made a trip from Atlanta to Mobile a few years back in a Tesla. Miserable!

Super chargers that took over an hour and 20 mins to "fill" the car, non working super chargers, waiting to get a charge at one due to other drivers.....

Added 3 hours to each way.

Only ones that every really worked were the ones at Atlantic Station.

Interesting recent angle to this topic. Earlier in the week I was talking to my brother (an electrician) out in California. A relative out there is looking to pick up an EV and in preparation, inquired about having a higher amperage charging capability installed at their house. As they don't have sufficient service amperage currently to power such a "station" they had to apply to the power company to have their service upgraded (to 400A total). They have to hire an electric contractor of course to do this work but at least in CA, said contractor has to be specifically certified to conduct charging station work, thus limiting supply, thus driving up cost. Additionally, the utility demands that the meter be pulled and replaced, thus requiring the utility company itself to directly perform part of this work (increasing cost). Additionally, since the meter is being pulled and replaced it is a building permit event, thus requiring inspection after pull of the meter, after physical install of the new equipment, and to re-certify at close of construction (increasing cost). All told they are looking at roughly $10,000 worth of electric and permitting work/charges in addition to the cost of the vehicle. That will give them the capability to charge to 100% in roughly 7ish hours overnight, so don't count on that vehicle in event of any type of off schedule emergency. Additionally, almost all residential meters in the US are currently on flat rate, meaning you burn a kilowatt/hour you pay a fixed rate for it. Utility companies are forcing people desiring this type "upgrade" to sign what is known in commercial electricity as a "time of use" contract, meaning you now have a smart meter and the cost per KW/HR isn't fixed, it is variable dependent on demand in the grid at the time you burn the power.

How you see that time of use concept portrayed isn't "we'll charge you more if you use power when it is inconvenient for us" - it is more often showing up as "we'll give you a discount if you use at night" but the reality is more subtle and more expensive. Additionally CA in particular has grown so reliant on solar, linking all houses back to the grid, that day time is now becoming the cheaper window of opportunity for power usage because supply is higher due to sunshine, and if you want to charge at night while you are say, sleeping, you are actually gonna pay more because, guess what - no sunshine at night.

The dirty little secret that bright electricians already have realized, if you have a gas vehicle that gets decent mileage and you drive it conservatively (meaning you don't lead foot it from stop light to stop light) the actual energy cost, gas vs watts, is just about the same.

Oh, they are also now regularly seeing at the commercial charging stations out there, people waiting in line to use the Tesla chargers. If you have say 20 charging stations at a given mall, they are seeing 50-60 people waiting to use them, for hours in some cases. At least out there in CA, the three big utility companies are not even closed to prepared for the demand of placing level 2 charging stations in private homes, nor will they be ready for many years. Of course we rely more on hydro, nuclear and fossil fuel generation back here in GA so we don't have the same issue of solar creating excess supply during the day which can't effectively be stored right now for use at night when they are telling everybody to plug in their cars.

Back
Top Bottom