• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric cars

One good thing to think about is the off peak charging hours. For instance Cobb EMC has an off peak e/v rate that gives you 400kw hours free if you charge between 12pm-6pm. This is of course subject to change as more e/v vehicles are adopted.

One other reality to consider is that a significant proportion of the population are not in a position to be looking at vehicles costing $30k and up, or can afford to pay dealer pricing when things go wrong, which is somewhat inevitable once the current EV's have aged and devalued to a level ordinary working people can afford.

I know many families whose car buying budget is < $6k, and maintain them themselves.

Generation and distribution companies constitute > 95% of the people I work with, the current infrastructure doesn't have the capacity, in many areas, to service a significant increase in home charging.

Battery life and replacement cost is its biggest modern disadvantage. There is the cost of electricity to actually charge your vehicle. It’s a common misconception that charging an e/v is cheap when compared to gas. It’s true that you can save money by charging during off peak hours, but how much cheaper is it really? There is also the additional cost to retrofit your home with a level 2 charger. These additional cost compound on top of an already expensive vehicle. This is what’s holding back a lot of buyers. The range is also a major concern. How are you going to charge it on a long trip?

Modern quality combustion vehicles are going to last 300k miles if properly maintained. That combustion vehicle will last for 20 to 25 years before it’s probably suffering from age and will need some serious repairs. You will have swapped the battery out one in an e/v, and probably be close to a second swap. These swaps really add up when it comes to the long term ownership costs of an e/v.

What we need a solid state battery which doesn’t degrade that can provide a huge amount of range.
The cost has previously been stated at about 15 to 25 percent mile per mile comparison. It’s a range price of electricity is varied as well as the price of gas. Electricity is far more stable.

the duration will be determined on EVs hence the warranty but diesels last far longer than gas but gas outsell diesel on all passenger cars and light duty trucks. I always recommend leasing on electrics. Once a solid state is cheap readily replaceable etc I will recommend longer term ownership. I sell cars for a living I don’t repair for a living there opinion might be slightly different and for different reasons.

This is very true there are several different avenues to go down in battery tech, most major Japanese manufactures are wanting to have a swapable suitcase of a battery. To swap out like your grills propane tanks. There are several battery companies that are working on no lithium batteries. Lead acid has remained tha dominant force for years, lithium on a mass produced scale is only about two decades old ( radially available products not its inception as a battery), Undicided with Matt feral is a great YouTube channel for alternative battery concepts. Salt, graphite and concrete are all types I heard about. The key is energy density vs weight to be a viable product and be readily available to make it cheap. This is the major factor in me advising to lease electric vehicles. This is a personal preference based off tech changing every few years and the majority of current electric customers are not the same customers who are buying a car once every twenty years and driving the wheels off. Most trade within 5 years. Insider information here (the national average to swap a vehicle is 27 months and is the driving factor that Mercedes Benz offers a 27 month lease.)

My real argument is about the long term cost of ownership. If you bought a long range Tesla 3 and a similar equipped Toyota Camry the initial purchase price difference is $13000. The Tesla will break even at around 7 years if your drive 14k a year. Problem is that between year 10-15 you’re going to need to replace the Tesla battery. This will currently cost $13k. That basically starts the clock over. In the long term you won’t save very much money. You may end up paying more because the resell value on an e/v is going to always be worse dir to the nature of its battery degradation.

The key is if you plan on driving a ton with an e/v. This may be a problem due to the current fast charger infrastructure and availability. This is where I think a stop gap comes into play. Hence why Toyota is sticking with hybrid technology. You’re really getting the best of both worlds with battery’s that cost a fraction of an e/v’s battery pack. My Prius V still gets 44’miles a gallon and she’s 11 years old. Battery replacement cost is 3k. The new Prius’s get around 60 miles per gallon and I would expect their batteries to be of even higher more long lasting quality.

Pass.....
Why, please put a candid answer here I love all opinions, even the ones that differ from mine Or especially the one which are in agreement but for a different reason. This is just to inform my friends on the ODT. I have a big V8 gas burning Nissan Titan all cars and trucks have there place or they wont be on the market for long.

Help me fully understand what you mean by devalued .
If a manufacture or dealership offered the rental car companies model 123 to the rental fleet that model 123 on the used market will not have a resale value as its competition or it sister cars in the line up. The percentage reduction is Higher per the first few years. So manufacture xyz also has model 456 and both devalued at 10% per year the the 123 is sold on a massive scale to rental car companies then the model 123 wil be at 12% or higher on the first few years

Back
Top Bottom