• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electrical license

yellowhammer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
I went to a local biz to buy a capacitor for my furnace. The biz said they couldn`t sell me one since I had no Electrical or HVAC license. So I went somewhere else and bought it. Fixed my furnace before I burned up my blower motor. I had bought electrical parts and also non-electrical items there before. I went online and could find no GA law or rule concerning this. Is this just a decision made by the business owner? Need to hear from someone that knows. Are we one day going to need a contractor license to buy a 2x4? Or an automotive repair license to buy brakes pads or spark plugs? If so, this crap can be stopped by us. VOTERS.

What exactly were you looking for? If it is an actual furnace's part, which you can find ONLY at the HVAC supplies store, then you may need to be licensed(State) or at least have the Service Technician License.
If you know what you're doing, congratulation. If you don't, well that may turn to be a very expensive fix... let say, if your system is a little older, then you will need to change out the entire set (Furnace, Coil and Compressor).

Yeah there is a supply store in cartersville that won’t sell any hvac supplies unless you’re licensed. I don’t think it’s against the law or anything just their policies.

What exactly were you looking for? If it is an actual furnace's part, which you can find ONLY at the HVAC supplies store, then you may need to be licensed(State) or at least have the Service Technician License.
If you know what you're doing, congratulation. If you don't, well that may turn to be a very expensive fix... let say, if your system is a little older, then you will need to change out the entire set (Furnace, Coil and Compressor).
capacitor

Yeah there is a supply store in cartersville that won’t sell any hvac supplies unless you’re licensed. I don’t think it’s against the law or anything just their policies.

I am an HVAC guy, and in a way I can see that supply store just don't want to get involved in some big issue. In the State of Florida, now they require license for everything and anything, because too many handyman doing repairs and fixing stuff they didn't know, some years ago, caused too many problems and issues specially with electrical and HVAC systems. So the State stepped in and regulated it. It is really crazy and hard when you have a service call, and you get there you can see that someone that didn't know what he was doing, tried to fix it!!!

capacitor
That's an ease fix... I give them away sometime to friends, but explain them how to fix it. Also, if you're not careful a capacitor can discharge a big electrical shock! - Then again, HVAC supply won't sale it if you don't show at least the Service Tech Licence. - Not a big deal, you can do it!!

I am an HVAC guy, and in a way I can see that supply store just don't want to get involved in some big issue. In the State of Florida, now they require license for everything and anything, because too many handyman doing repairs and fixing stuff they didn't know, some years ago, caused too many problems and issues specially with electrical and HVAC systems. So the State stepped in and regulated it. It is really crazy and hard when you have a service call, and you get there you can see that someone that didn't know what he was doing, tried to fix it!!!
Oh yeah I totally understand why they do it. I am in the plumbing field and you wouldn’t believe what we’ve seen that a handyman has “fixed”. Lol

Back
Top Bottom