• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone had a residential electrical panel replaced?

I'm selling a home to a friend. It was built in 1964 and still has the original electrical panel in it. I guess it was one of the ones that long ago was identified as having issues and should be replaced. Had no idea. Anyway, it has always operated, and still is operating, fine, but obviously it's 60 years old now. A recommendation was made to replace it with a new 200 amp panel. It has something slightly smaller now (can't recall exactly).
Buyer got a quote and I was floored.
What "should" it cost to replace a panel?
I can do it let me know

The quote was for just the panel. No new wiring, no relocation
$4,500. Seems absurd for 4 hours work.
(Non licensed quote was $450. ;) )
That is definitely high, in Atlanta a typical residential electrician is about $125-$155 an hour for two men and a truck. I bill out about $2,000.00 for an 8 hour day and that's for two men and a truck doing commercial/industrial work.

A 200 amp Square D panel at Home Depot is $298.00 -https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-200-Amp-40-Space-80-Circuit-Main-Breaker-Qwik-Grip-Plug-On-Neutral-Load-Center-w-Breakers-Cover-Value-Pack-HOM4080M200PQCVP/301278214

A single pole 20 amp breaker for the Square D panel is $6.63 - https://www.homedepot.com/s/20 amp square D breaker?NCNI-5
(depending on how many you need, could be up to around $250.00 for breakers because you will most likely need additional double-pole breakers as well.

I would shop around and definitely source your own electrical panel and breakers if you have that option.

The quote was for just the panel. No new wiring, no relocation
$4,500. Seems absurd for 4 hours work.
(Non licensed quote was $450. ;) )
We had it done two -n- half years ago; Permit is what costs a chunk years ago they just pulled you meter and swapped it out now, ga-power or your emc has to pull meter and re install. and four hours .... they might pull it off but remember ga-p or emc has to pull meter and they are not waiting around to reinstall they will have to come back.......... wha.. wait Louisianna ......... never mind

non-licensed ? here in jorga when you pull a meter; a loss of power / power interrupt signal goes off with your service provider and they will show up.... fine and a inspection will have to be done before power is restored. and if they are licensed in ga they can lose their license for pulling a meter without a permit and not going through your service provider.............

Back
Top Bottom