• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone had a residential electrical panel replaced?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I'm selling a home to a friend. It was built in 1964 and still has the original electrical panel in it. I guess it was one of the ones that long ago was identified as having issues and should be replaced. Had no idea. Anyway, it has always operated, and still is operating, fine, but obviously it's 60 years old now. A recommendation was made to replace it with a new 200 amp panel. It has something slightly smaller now (can't recall exactly).
Buyer got a quote and I was floored.
What "should" it cost to replace a panel?

Well, if you upgrade to a higher current panel, you need to run more cables in from the utility company. The panel itself isn't ridiculously expensive, but the cost of the breakers adds up.

I had a 100A supply upgraded to 200A with a larger panel about 10 years ago and I remember it costing me about $1700 for parts, labor etc. I dread to think what it would cost today - and it's not the kind of thing you'd want to do yourself.

The quote was for just the panel. No new wiring, no relocation
$4,500. Seems absurd for 4 hours work.
(Non licensed quote was $450. ;) )

$450 wouldn't even cover material.

Also, since most fires are electrical, would you really want a job as big and important as a new panel done by a none licensed individual?

$450 wouldn't even cover material.

Also, since most fires are electrical, would you really want a job as big and important as a new panel done by a none licensed individual?
The non licensed guy is not an option as the house is going to my friend's daughter. I'm not paying for the upgrade. Buyers are. (But to answer your question, yes I'd trust him. Hell I'd do it myself if I was living there.)

Back
Top Bottom