• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone had a residential electrical panel replaced?

I need one done, and my house was first deeded in 1944. Originally was Sears&Roebuck home, they brought in on a train, a few hundred feet from where she sits.
Needs an upgraded box and feed lines moved to the new box. The new owners can get it done.

Also keep in mind that if permits are pulled, Gfcis, smoke detectors, and grounding system need to be up to code. 3k without permits and 7-21k with smokes and dual function breakers to code is the norm in metro Atlanta.

non-licensed ? here in jorga when you pull a meter; a loss of power / power interrupt signal goes off with your service provider and they will show up.... fine and a inspection will have to be done before power is restored.
We had to have a licensed electrician file for our permit and contact Ga Power to interrupt service when we had the main panel replaced on the old pistol range. Not sure about loosianna but I suspect same.

Not sure, but I strongly suspect no permits were pulled in non licensed guy's previous similar jobs. Retired USAF but no clue if his previous career was related. He's my SIL's BIL.
Just curious about general prices as it seemed outrageous. Google machine also suggests it's way overpriced.

Not sure, but I strongly suspect no permits were pulled in non licensed guy's previous similar jobs. Retired USAF but no clue if his previous career was related. He's my SIL's BIL.
Just curious about general prices as it seemed outrageous. Google machine also suggests it's way overpriced.
over-priced from when we had it done , but everything is 'now a days' I recon ya just have to call around.
let us know how it works out

I got quoted 10k in Gwinnett county. It came after i wanted a new outlet installed. Which led to blah blah blah. They told me they needed to rewire all the hardwired smoke detectors etc. Code. I told them to eat it. Literally no reason to replace it.

Well, the rest of the story ....
Apparently the reason the quotes are so high is because back when the house was built there was no external shut off. The panel is on the interior of the home in a bedroom closet. So they have to relocate the power coming in through the roof and install at least the exterior shut off and probably an exterior panel per code.

Well, the rest of the story ....
Apparently the reason the quotes are so high is because back when the house was built there was no external shut off. The panel is on the interior of the home in a bedroom closet. So they have to relocate the power coming in through the roof and install at least the exterior shut off and probably an exterior panel per code.
Yep

And install a bunch of GFCI outlets and arc fault breakers and smoke detectors etc

The way to get the power disconnected without a permit is to call the electric utility and tell them you need the line dropped so
You can safely replace the gutters or kill the yellow jackets nest that’s inside the wall by the wire or something like that .

The utility will twll
You what day they can
Come drop the wire and give you a number to call , and if you call that number before 4pm they will
Come back and restore the line by 6 pm or something like that .

That way you can safely replace the panel with the power off and no permits and all the upgrades

That said ,

If you are wanting to replace a 100 amp or 150 amp
panel with a 200 amp panel ,
Then you gotta have a new meter base and meter and larger wire from the meter to the breaker panel
And Probabaly the new disconnect and all the upgrades .

We just did that at our house with a large addition

The existing panel from 1970 was 150 which wasn’t large enough to handle the new addition .

So we had a new drop from the street pole , and a new 300 amp meter base with the built in twin 150 disconnects installed on the new addition , and then a new cable from the new disconnect to the existing panel in the house , which was also replaced because the guys working on it find some problems that couldn’t be fixed .

The city didn’t require us to upgrade anything in the existing house , but wanted GFIs in all the new addition

Think we paid $7k for all of it , which wasn’t too bad .

Just ask for an itemized estimate so you can compare apples to apples when you’re getting your quotes .

Back
Top Bottom