• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electrical question - new house - GFCI everywhere

I bought a new house and it seems like every outlet that is anyway associated with "exterior" is GFCI. Front porch, back porch, garage exterior, garage interior. I have a freezer in the garage and on two occasions in last few months GFCI has tripped. Do not think there is issue with freezer or freezer pulling too many amps, etc. Is it code now to have so many GFCI?
The outside ones should be GFCI protected.

Like cskiles cskiles said, a compressor is likely to trip because of the start up amps.

Just be to clear, it's the outlet tripping? And not the breaker?

Probably just swap the outlet. If it's the breaker, or you start having issues with the breaker make sure it's not an arc fault breaker.

GFCI outlets are not typical "one-offs" meaning that one actual GFCI outlet may control/monitor additional "load" outlets. If the outlet has the visible "reset" function at your freezer, it might be a standalone GFCI outlet but, typically, it would supply other connected "load" outlets and provide protection. So, again, if you swap that single outlet to a non-GFCI outlet, you also need to ensure it is not protecting other outlets on the "load" side of it that do require GFCI protection.

The latest revision of the NEC also states SIX feet within a water source, as in "The NEC mandates GFCI protection in many areas of the home: bathrooms, garages, outdoor receptacles, crawl spaces, basements, kitchens and anything within six feet of a sink or water source."

I've been working on refrigeration for almost 40 years and found that coolers and freezers do not work on GFCI outlets. Compressors pull a lot of amps when they start, just for not even a half second, but that is enough to trip. In Georgia they put them everywhere in commercial kitchens, I've always replaced them with standard outlets, problem solved. Change yours before you end up losing everything.

I've been working on refrigeration for almost 40 years and found that coolers and freezers do not work on GFCI outlets. Compressors pull a lot of amps when they start, just for not even a half second, but that is enough to trip. In Georgia they put them everywhere in commercial kitchens, I've always replaced them with standard outlets, problem solved. Change yours before you end up losing everything.
^ THIS

Back
Top Bottom