• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Endurance Running

I used to run for distance but my stamina never reached the high levels that I realized when I run plenty of sprints. I get bored simply running, so I like to add variety by playing basketball, tennis, etc. Sports that require lots of short sprints, bursts.

What do you guys recommend for someone just starting to run? I can swim all day but running... not so much. I wanna get up to around 40 miles a week.
Short answer.. It will take about 4-6 weeks to get to the point where you will say "I don't feel like I ran very far".. Start up for new runners is the most discouraging process ever until you clear that hurdle.. 40 miles a week is a solid goal but not as easy as you think depending on life style (family, work etc).
Give this training guide a try, this will get you there.. And plan a few road races along the way just to keep you "in to it".. Good luck.

Attachments

• Half Marathon Training Program.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 10
Short answer.. It will take about 4-6 weeks to get to the point where you will say "I don't feel like I ran very far".. Start up for new runners is the most discouraging process ever until you clear that hurdle.. 40 miles a week is a solid goal but not as easy as you think depending on life style (family, work etc).
Give this training guide a try, this will get you there.. And plan a few road races along the way just to keep you "in to it".. Good luck.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I definitely will sign up for a few races! I'm curious about mileage increase. I have been told that you shouldn't increase run mileage by more than ten percent but that seems to be very slow increase in mileage at the start. For someone who is just starting out what would you recommend? Also do you guys have any tips for a beginner runner?

Last edited:
For someone who is just starting out what would you recommend? Also do you guys have any tips for a beginner runner?

From my personal experience (I ran XC in high school about 7 years ago and loved it), my recommendations are: (from what they're worth, which isn't much)

- Go slow at the beginning, and don't expect to run too far. Your endurance will pick up steadily, but don't try to force your body to do more than it should when you're first starting out. If you can jog a mile without stopping on relatively flat ground, do that every other day until you can do 1.5 miles, then 2 miles....then add in more days in-between, more distance, etc. It should feel difficult but not extreme exertion (maybe 80% exertion, but not 95+%, for example, during training). It will get significantly easier but will take weeks of regular training and steady growth to avoid injury or burnout. Make sure you hydrate and stretch thoroughly before and after each run, and try to eat well.
- If at all possible, I would highly recommend jogging at a speed you can maintain for a distance without stopping. So instead of jogging a mile, walking a mile, and jogging a mile, I would recommend just jogging a mile or a mile and a half per session until things get easier and you can increase your mileage.
- Find out what kind of running you will enjoy - whether that's by yourself on a nature trail, with a running group or friend, early morning in the neighborhood....find a regular routine you can enjoy and stick to.
- A running watch that shows your pace might be something you would enjoy, but I'd wait until you've been running a few weeks before dropping the cash on one (I've used the Suunto Ambit 2R and loved it but I think it was about $200. Some people prefer a simple stopwatch.)
- Be PATIENT. This is the most important thing. I ran XC in high school with friends, and then in college a few years back I jumped in and ran a 5K race on a hilly road with zero training. Basically, I ended up with a bad, chronic injury to my knee, which led me to gain more weight since "I couldn't exercise the way I liked". A couple of years later, and now I've started swimming daily so I can (hopefully) lose a lot of weight without putting more strain on my knee - assuming that my knee problems will go away when I'm skinny again and can start running like I used to.
- 40 miles a week is ambitious, which is good but means you need to allow yourself a lot of time to get there. If I were you, I would wait until you can jog 4-5 miles comfortably, and then sign up for a 5K where you can try to go faster than you normally train. Then you can start looking into longer races after you've ran several shorter races. Short-term and long-term goals can help and keep things interesting. Most of all have fun with it - being fit enough to run fast over long distances is an amazing feeling! I'm excited to be able to feel that way again - I have similar goals as you and would like to be at 40 miles a week by at least the end of next year (I would like to lose about 50 pounds, which I'm trying to do now through swimming). Within a couple of years I really want to run a marathon but I know it'll be a long journey - that kind of fitness/endurance doesn't develop overnight.

Sorry for the LONG reply, hopefully there was something helpful in there! :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed reply. I definitely will sign up for a few races! I'm curious about mileage increase. I have been told that you shouldn't increase run mileage by more than ten percent but that seems to be very slow increase in mileage at the start. For someone who is just starting out what would you recommend? Also do you guys have any tips for a beginner runner?
10% per week is correct and recommended to avoid injury and stress pain. If the kneecap starts hurting it too much too fast. Patella tendon tells you it's too much. You'll get to you 35+ miles per week just take it slow. You have waited this long to start running you can take a bit longer. Lol. All the best. Enjoy.

I was in Unicoi Tenn hiking a mountain when I kept seeing these runners obviously in a race. When I checked I found out they were in 50K race over several mountains.
Unbelievable endurance and a few of the most healthy women I'd ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom