• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Engine & Transmission on a 2002 Silverado

The engine should last a long time

Five years ago We got one from a wrecked 2002 truck and put it in our 76 K-10

The 2002 had 260k on it when we got the engine out of it .

It’s been a daily driver since then and racked up another 100k

Usually the LS 5.3 is a very reliable engine as long as it’s not the one with the V-8-6-4 cylinder deactivation garbage .

My brother just bought a new 3/4 ton 4wd crew cab GMC
I think it was $70k
He gets most of that as a tax deduction but still , that’s a lot of cheddar .

Oh man....

I have heard about that cylinder thing. I have a friend who had to replace his engine because it screwed up.

I think I'll probably go the refurbish route. Newer truck prices have gone completely insane.

Anyone replace an engine in one of these? Seems like I heard the 6 cylinder is better than the V8s of this era, but I can't remember why.
Active Fuel Management (cylinder delete) started in 2007, I had one. At about 125K miles I had one of the AFM lifters go bad. Lifter replacement requires head removal..

Why are you worried about the Engine? I have the same one (and same year) with 180k, not a single problem to date.
Fix the trans and keep on rollin'....

Well, mine is a 4.8 and it appears to have one of the 'spongy' heads...

There's a particular run of heads that let a little coolant through a soft area.

Mine started using a little coolant (maybe a half a cup every 1000 miles or so) and I looked and looked for leak, to no avail. I put a little UV dye in the coolant-and bingo, it was in the oil.

Couldn't have been much of a leak, because the oil never got milky, and there was never any moisture showing on the inside of the oil cap.

I popped in a bottle of K Seal, and it seems to have stopped leaking completely. I also increased oil change frequency.

I was just thinking worst case scenario with an engine swap and transmission rebuild.

I would just replace the cylinder heads if it were me. These guys do great work and stand behind it (Marietta, near Cobb Civic Center). Worth a call and see what they would charge for a set of reconditioned heads and then throw them on one Saturday or find a local mechanic who can do it.

Well, mine is a 4.8 and it appears to have one of the 'spongy' heads...

There's a particular run of heads that let a little coolant through a soft area.

Mine started using a little coolant (maybe a half a cup every 1000 miles or so) and I looked and looked for leak, to no avail. I put a little UV dye in the coolant-and bingo, it was in the oil.

Couldn't have been much of a leak, because the oil never got milky, and there was never any moisture showing on the inside of the oil cap.

I popped in a bottle of K Seal, and it seems to have stopped leaking completely. I also increased oil change frequency.

I was just thinking worst case scenario with an engine swap and transmission rebuild.
Ah. I thought you had the 5.3.

It has been serviced normally.

Was having troubles going in and out of lockup, so I tried some Lucas transmission stuff, and it worked-for now.
It's common with the 4lL60/65 for shift valves to wear out. This allows pressure to get by, causing delayed shifting, shift flare, and other weird shifting issues. If the clutches are still holding (no slipping), you can can install a rebuilt valve body and stretch the life of that transmission. I bought one on ebay and installed it myself for about $200.

Back
Top Bottom