• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

One shot from my 12 patterns a little less than the size of a volley ball at 3 yards if i remember correctly. 3" 00 out of shockwave. My 223 patterns about the size of an eraser head at 3 yards. My pistols patterns around the size of a dime. I like the larger pattern for close range. maybe 4 yards dunno been awhile.

orig13.deviantart.net_da44_f_2013_016_8_5_uh_meme_by_gumwolf_d5rpqr0.png

Oh, never mind.
I was about to tag you then I noticed you had already found it! :pound:

That one "BUSTED: 5 shotgun myths you probably believe" has some interesting stuff in it.

Except they're not all myths, nor widely popular.
Like the training tip to shoot shotguns squared-off to the target, facing the target directly.
The article says it's how military people are trained with carbines, and they just do the same thing for shotguns. But all shoulder-fired weapons are not the same, and the greater recoil of the 12-gauge demands a stance that controls the recoil better.

(Although the article didnt say so, another reason cops and soldiers face the enemy directly is that's how their body armor with the front plate is most effective, but how many of US would be wearing such armor when we use a shotgun for defense?)
Actually the article does briefly address body armor.

I always face the threat/target square when shooting handguns, carbines, SMG’s, and shotguns. My stance is the exact same for all weapon systems, only the grip changes.

This doesn’t just work when wearing body armor. You are about twice as likely to survive a GSW to the front of the torso vs a shot to the side. I didn’t make that up, that came from a class I attended that was taught by the Chief Trauma Surgeon at Grady. Anyone that has taken one of my classes has gotten the entire spiel on that.
This is true. Definitely true with stabs. Your rib cage and beergut are the original spartan plates.

One shot from my 12 patterns a little less than the size of a volley ball at 3 yards if i remember correctly. 3" 00 out of shockwave. My 223 patterns about the size of an eraser head at 3 yards. My pistols patterns around the size of a dime. I like the larger pattern for close range. maybe 4 yards dunno been awhile.
I think I need to work on my grip. At 20 yards the pattern from my 15rd 9mm magazine is a bit wider than your 00 buckshot volleyball...

Back
Top Bottom