• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Eviction by significant other

nah - No legal authority. I am a cop. They live there - and no primary aggressor identified - can only result in strongly suggesting one party leave...but CANNOT force it.

You're right, I was making the assumption that IF the cops show up, it's because they are fighting. In which case, someone has to leave. Correct?

You're right, I was making the assumption that IF the cops show up, it's because they are fighting. In which case, someone has to leave. Correct?
that would be the preference, but we can't legally make anyone leave their residence unless someone is going to jail. I have left many domestics where people merely agree to leave each other alone and separate within the house... which sometimes results in our return and taking one of them to jail. The only time we can MAKE someone leave, is if they don't live there and it's the request of the resident. Other than that - It's just a negotiation tool. However, it's usually pretty easy to identify a primary agressor when both parties are one scene. Also, I have watched several cops try and present the suggestion as a non-option...but the reality is - we can't legally force anyone to leave their own residence due to a verbal dispute (or physical if a primary aggressor can't be identified).

that would be the preference, but we can't legally make anyone leave their residence unless someone is going to jail. I have left many domestics where people merely agree to leave each other alone and separate within the house... which sometimes results in our return and taking one of them to jail. The only time we can MAKE someone leave, is if they don't live there and it's the request of the resident. Other than that - It's just a negotiation tool. However, it's usually pretty easy to identify a primary agressor when both parties are one scene. Also, I have watched several cops try and present the suggestion as a non-option...but the reality is - we can't legally force anyone to leave their own residence due to a verbal dispute (or physical if a primary aggressor can't be identified).

Thanks for the information. In my case, my 2nd wife was the aggressor and on at least 2 different occasions, I was forced to leave. Once in Savannah and at least once here in Warner Robins. I don't remember the exact words but I know in Warner Robins I was told that they weren't leaving until one of us left. I was pretty pissed about the one here because I was the only one with a job and I was the one forced to leave my own apt.

Back
Top Bottom