• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ex-Mil "Doomsday Prepper" shoots his thumb off...

I'm even a testimony to this quote, wasn't til I put my wife through basic that I got interested and after a class I realized not only how much fun they are, but how much you can learn and don't know.

Monte, what exactly is the best grip for a pocket rocket? I have no intentions of owning one, but just curious wha tthe different grip is.

What "pocket rocket" are you referring to?

What "pocket rocket" are you referring to?

I think in an earlier post you had said that there is a different grip required for much smaller guns like the micro eagle that you teach. An LCP is way too small for an adequate thumbs forward grip, so I was curious as to what method is best used for such small guns.

On a totally UN related note, the size of lcp/lc9 kahr cw, etc is what drives me away from them. Too small for even females to get am adequate grip, and usually the recoil spring is excessively stiff and the slide so small it takes a good bit of dexterity to rack one, coupled with tiny sights and a long triggerpull, it makes them useless beyond gut guns, but I do like the sig p238 /colt mustang, those aren't as hard to manipulate, trigger is nice and have full sights.

I think in an earlier post you had said that there is a different grip required for much smaller guns like the micro eagle that you teach. An LCP is way too small for an adequate thumbs forward grip, so I was curious as to what method is best used for such small guns.

Grip is very subjective since everyone has different sized hands.
Some people can use a normal thumbs forward grip while others have to use more of a revolver style grip.
Here are a few pics to give you a rough idea.

On a totally UN related note, the size of lcp/lc9 kahr cw, etc is what drives me away from them. Too small for even females to get am adequate grip, and usually the recoil spring is excessively stiff and the slide so small it takes a good bit of dexterity to rack one, coupled with tiny sights and a long triggerpull, it makes them useless beyond gut guns, but I do like the sig p238 /colt mustang, those aren't as hard to manipulate, trigger is nice and have full sights.

While they are not my favorite, for many people a .380 is the biggest gun that they will carry.

They are more challenging however I wouldn't say "useless" They are capable of accuracy just as good as their larger counterparts.
Included below is a pic. of a 1"- 1 1/2" 6 shot offhand group shot from a new S&W Bodyguard from the 7 yd. line.
The Smith has a good set of real sights. It is easily capable of 25 yd. accuracy w/ good fundamentals although I agree their primary role is for very close distance. I just make it a practice not to "assume" anything out of a fight not started by me.

Last edited:
My PM9 is surprisingly accurate. After getting used to the trigger I have been able to get 5 shot groups as small as 2" at 25'. It usually surprises the hell out of the RO and others in the range. I jokingly refer to it as a match grade 1-7/8" barrel...

lol sick group monte, how is the trigger on that bodyguard? With a lot of dryfire I'm sure one could get use to the trigger, but I've never been a fan of the long double action pulls. Single action and "safe action" have ruined me. By the way thanks for the grip tips.

lol sick group monte, how is the trigger on that bodyguard? With a lot of dryfire I'm sure one could get use to the trigger, but I've never been a fan of the long double action pulls. Single action and "safe action" have ruined me. By the way thanks for the grip tips.

Long double action triggers such as on a revolver or many .380's are a very good way to practice/ develop proper trigger control.

If a person can learn to shoot one of them well they can shoot just about anything else better.

I've found that LCP's, Bodyguard's (& most any other gun for that matter) triggers improve once several hundred rounds are run through them.

Long double action triggers such as on a revolver or many .380's are a very good way to practice/ develop proper trigger control.

If a person can learn to shoot one of them well they can shoot just about anything else better.

I've found that LCP's, Bodyguard's (& most any other gun for that matter) triggers improve once several hundred rounds are run through them.

Since I got more serious with seeking training and learning to shoot properly theres a lot of things I haven't went back and given a second chance to such as the long pulls and .40's. I wouldn't mind a long pull, but I'd like it to be in something like a mod 60 pro series (I fricking miss the one I let go :() Til then I'll be dryfiring the crap out of my 23 lol.

Back
Top Bottom