• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ex-Mil "Doomsday Prepper" shoots his thumb off...

I saw this and I believe he was shooting a small .380, if I remember right it was a micro desert eagle, and if you have had ever held one you will see that it would be very easy to shoot off your thumb!

I used to want one and then after holding one I decided I would eventually blow my thumb off with it, the barrel/gun is just too short.

Which is why there we use a completely different grip w/ the smaller style guns like many .380's.

I'm by no means an expert or on an instructor level, but as a long time enthusiast and electrician, I've learned complacency is fatal. First off, from what you're saying this Guy had no right hosting any kind of training situation. First thing I do when introducing new shooters is a safety breifing, nothing major, but the basic dos and donts. Someone on the board made a good statement saying that the safety rules act like a set of failsafes, and that even if one is broken. the others pick up the slack. One of the first things o tell new shooters is that if there is a malfunction of any type (I even describe squibs and hangfires) to cease operation, lay the firearm down pointed down range and let me know. Obviously, this Guy did none of those things and its a wonder nobody was killed. The biggest threat gun owners have is idiots like this, if he would have had it pointed anywhere else it could have been fatal. (by the way, I do not do firearms training, but when I take friends that are new shooters out I have the boring safety Sally talk with them.) I'm all up for shooting zombie targets and killing zombie soda cans for fun, but I want everyone to go home safe at the end of the day. By the way Monte, did this happen behind the firing line or on the line? was there a rso or was it just a back yard shoot?

The basic "do's & don'ts" are major. And anytime you step foot on that range, a gun comes out of the holster or case, and others are looking to you for safety & instruction... you are "training" them. The key is doing it safely.

EVERYTIME a gun is handled there is potential for someone to be killed or badly hurt.

Doesn't mean to be afraid of them or not to help others... on the contrary, responsible gun owners who TRULY know safe gunhandling practices should help the newbies & correct anyone who doesn't follow the rules around others & if they are too arrogant to correct their behavior let Darwin take care of them when others aren't around.

Couldn't tell if there was an actual firing line & it did seem like it was a desert shoot'em up.

I just gotta ask, why was his THUMB on the BARREL?

Perhaps he was demo'ing the method Bugs Bunny used on Yosemite Sam's pistol (or was it Elmer Fudd's shotgun?)... where he plugs the barrel w/ his finger & the gun backfires?

It just never seems to work as well in real life as in the cartoon.

Unfortunately, that is where most people get their training... Hollywood/tv/videogames.

Damn Magpul Dynamic DVD's. :rolleyes:

Awhile back I had a guy from a pawnshop actually ask if he & some friends could come out to my range & "kinda do a zombie shoot, like on tv... running around & blowing stuff up w/ our 12 ga. Mossbergs & stuff" he said, "We don't really want any training... we just want to do like they do on tv."

I asked if any of them had EVER had ANY training at all to which he responded, "No... we know how to shoot."

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings... "Some peoples sole contribution to a battle is to be the first casualty."

I watched a guy blow his thumb off at the range in Temple. There were only 3 of us shooting and he kept having double feeds and the other guy and I noticed he was having a lot of trouble clearing one. He was really going at it so I backed off the firing line and then boom. It chambered and he simultaneously pulled the trigger. Yes he was gripping the pistol with his thumb over the end of the muzzle. All he said was, "Damn I blew my thumb off." He took his shirt off and wrapped it and asked if we could clear his gun and make it safe. Then he walked into the shop asked them to call the ambulance since he was bleeding like a stuck pig and then just sat on the steps watching us shoot till the medics got there. He even laughed at himself a few times about how stupid it was. Pretty gruesome to see but it was a real eye opener about gun safety.

At least he knew who the man was who shot his "paw"....

Back
Top Bottom