• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Explain your avatar

Oconostata led a February 1760 attack on Fort Prince George where 29 Cherokee chiefs seeking peace had been imprisoned and then executed. He also defeated Col. Archibald Montgomery in Macon County in June 1760 and later captured Fort Loudoun.[4]

Oconostota became the First Beloved Man of the Cherokee following the death of his cousin Attakullakulla, sometime around 1775–1777. His tenure was fraught with warfare and struggle, which culminated in 1780 in the destruction of Chota and Tanasi by American revolutionary forces during the rebellion against the British and their allies. Many histories state that Oconostota went to England in either 1730 or 1762, but he was not a member of either delegation. Oconostota was believed to have died in either 1782 or 1783. He was buried with his hands on his chest holding a broadsword pointing down his body.[citation needed]

Memorial[edit]

Oconostota's grave at the Chota memorial, in Monroe County, Tennessee.
During the archaeological digs at the site of Chota prior to the Tellico Reservoir impoundment, the remains of Oconostota were found. They were identified by a pair of reading glasses which he owned which were buried with him. Oconostota's remains were re-interred at Chota in the portion raised by TVA (which includes the site of the council house). A gravestone now marks the site. It has become a tradition to place a pebble on his gravestone to symbolize the permanence of his memory and legacy since a stone can never die.

This is my 5th granddaddy (traced back thru genealogy)
oconostota[1].jpg

Since I first joined mine has always been Early Cuyler. He is the main character on squidbillies which airs late at night on cartoon network. He is basically a caricature of a white trash redneck who drinks liquor, gets arrested at strip clubs, and shoots his sawed off shotgun at anything he doesn't like. The show is even set in the north Georgia mountains.

Early Cuyler is my spirit animal

308ab760441201.5a4d2dcb386d4.gif

giphy-9.gif

3k1l78.jpg

Back
Top Bottom