• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

F Chevy- Lifelong fan no more

I can't.... not one worth worrying over anyway. As has been mentioned, Its cheaper to just keep top off a weeping leak than to replace a rad unless its actually leaving puddles.

Then there is always this ;) :

contentinfo_autozone_com_znetcs_product_info_en_US_brl_1186_image_3__.jpg
In the newer vehicles, this will cost you more money in the long run by stopping up places you don't wish plugged.

You guys are missing the point of the rant. Problem is legit... GM has issued a service bulletin regarding it, but not doing anything to fix the problem
I get your point completely. This is very similar to what GM did a few years ago when they had faulty ignition switches in Cobalts and other models. They knew they had gotten and installed a bad batch of switches bit decided ignore it. But then a few people died as a result of their cars switching off while driving. And then they still didn't wanna do a recall but eventually had to.
I assume your truck is pretty close to new and that's why you were taking it to the dealer to service. You probably already know that the parts and service department guys are WAY better at pencil ****ing the customer than the salesmen are. But I assume you had a certain amount of oil changes and tire rotations built into your purchase $1300.00 IS a crazy high price for the job. I can't imagine the labor guide calls for more than an hour or two to do the job. I've pulled my share of radiators. Granted they were from older vehicles but it's still a radiator and not much has changed. I can have one out of most vehicles in less than 30 minutes. So my point is that the cost of the part must be the biggest part of that estimate.
Someone earlier mentioned buying a Ford. I agree with that but it's not that simple. Any new full size truck now retails for around $40K at the low end. So it's not that easy to just switch horses at this point. I feel for you. I would red faced stroke level pissed off too.

Now a days you have to pretty much disassemble the entire front end of the truck to get at the radiator. They engineer them to go together as fast and cheeply as possible on the assembly line and then let the junior engineers and tech writers figure out how to service it WAY after during testing.

Where's that pic of late model Dodge Ram getting a rad replacement that looks like the engine exploded?

Out of town up in Knoxville today and had a little time between appointments, so I stopped in at the stealership to get an oil change and tire rotation. Service guy comes out and tells me he's got some bad news.... I've got a hole in my radiator. He goes on to say that GM has a tech bulletin out on it and it's because of a faulty thermostat something another, but they're not issuing a recall at this time.... So repair is on me. F'n $1300 worth. He said they'd make an appeal to GM for some help and possibly they'd cover up to half, BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE A PROBLEM .... Appeal to GM denied. F me!
I've been a Chevy guy for a long time and I've had nothing, but good experiences with their product, but screw them. It really chaps my @$$ that they know they have a faulty party, yet they stick the consumer with the bill. I sent an email to GM and I'm sure I won't hear back, but I'm done with the a$$ hats and I'm moving on.
Rant over
just get u a ford

I sure didn't mean to come off that way and if I did, I'm sorry. I just haven't had enough good experiences with dealers or their shops. I've run parts in the past for a shop and he marked everything up 100% before labor. I know they are in business to make money but dang. I bought a Haynes manual and started doing my own work with parts from Amazon (mostly). I know the OP didn't have that time and was out of town but a small hole high on the radiator shouldn't have stopped him driving. I think the "tech" was taking advantage of the OP's situation.
No worries. I'm right there with you.
I've been adding water to my 1500 forr probably six years or better. And air to one tire for at least four.
It gets driven once or twice a month at best. It is probably thinking I don't love it anymore...
BTW, my new Ford and the one before it both clunks the rear end if I don't take off just right.
Those fords seem to let go all at once, the old heater cores and plugs/coils.

Back
Top Bottom