• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FA Parts - We Self Regulate Out of Fear and Misinterpretation

Legal replacement sears? Are you speaking of the whole dias unit itself or the paddle/trip for it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bottom line is the atf is not coming around unless you are doing illegal things .

Let’s also be honest . Most don’t own a Dias or a registered lower so imo they have no business buying the auto kit as they are just asking for trouble .

The benefit of those auto kits being available is they allow people like myself with ALL LEGAL machine guns to have the ability to keep them running . Parts break .

Legal replacement sears? Are you speaking of the whole dias unit itself or the paddle/trip for it?

You can get 80% kits , just the arms and or small parts . You can get the auto sear and whole trigger group. You ain’t a felon until you drill that hole

Anyone who wants to do something stupid should really think and just avoid trouble by renting some machine guns instead . You avoid prison and see that the ammo cost is rape enough

If you are talking about kits with just FA parts, they are not illegal. What do you mean by FA conversion kits? Just so we can clarify and not bring anymore confusion to this topic Lol

This is everything you need . It’s all legal . The illegal part is when you have no registered item to install them in. It means you are dancing with the devil .
961077AC-70F7-49AB-9267-713B020071BE.jpeg

Some buy the above kits and just ditch the sear as they have a drop in. You can legally leave auto parts in a semi auto just as long as there is NO 3rd hole and you clearly have legal access to a Drop in auto sear (DIAS )

This is what they look like. They are worth the investment and a ton of fun.

2CF0CB63-4D65-498C-97A1-16B1AE42AEA0.jpeg

It’s just the sear for the drop in autosear. Again, the body is the portion that’s regulated. The sear (also referred to as trip or paddle) is not. This is what I’m talking about.

Attachments

• 18CABDF6-FAD5-487B-9A61-23BF7E8447A7.jpeg
    18CABDF6-FAD5-487B-9A61-23BF7E8447A7.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 21
This is everything you need . It’s all legal . The illegal part is when you have no registered item to install them in. It means you are dancing with the devil .
View attachment 2134699

Some buy the above kits and just ditch the sear as they have a drop in. You can legally leave auto parts in a semi auto just as long as there is NO 3rd hole and you clearly have legal access to a Drop in auto sear (DIAS )

This is what they look like. They are worth the investment and a ton of fun.

View attachment 2134702

That’s the parts I’m talking about, but he’s talking about kits for other guns. I don’t know enough about the kits he’s talking about to comment of them. I do know if the parts make a firearm full auto by simply dropping them in without any actual milling and drilling, they are more than likely illegal or regulated in some way.

That’s the parts I’m talking about, but he’s talking about kits for other guns. I don’t know enough about the kits he’s talking about to comment of them. I do know if the parts make a firearm full auto by simply dropping them in without any actual milling and drilling, they are more than likely illegal or regulated in some way.
Correct . I’m not aware of any true blue drop in kits but I’m sure someone did something crazy like that

I seem to recall that prior to 1986 the NFA and the GCA of 1968 were interpreted to only apply to an assembled, functioning, machine gun or silencer.
You could have all the parts you wanted, as long as you didn't put them together without having previously gotten approval for your Form 1 build.

You could also have an open-bolt semi auto that was ridiculously easy to convert into a full-auto weapon. Just pull out one part and throw it away, or take a file to another part and spend 30 seconds scraping that part with your file and you would have a full auto ! ATF cracked down on those in the early 1980s.

Many companies and individuals were selling do-it-yourself machinegun conversion kits and "assemble yourself" silencer kits through mail order. And the AR15 conversion kits would fit into any AR-15 lower receiver on the market at the time because this was before ATF mandated that the internal geometry of the lower receivers be changed to not let the full auto fire control parts fit without significant milling & machining. Silencer kits, too, were sold in two sets. One set contained only internal parts --the baffles, the wipes, the spacers, whatever. The second part of the silencer kit was just the tube. Sometimes one company would sell both the kits and the tubes, but they would sell them separately; you could not order both at the same time and pay with one check. Had to be two orders.

Congress (in 1986) took note of how the gun industry was doing an end run around federal gun control laws, and they closed these loopholes by declaring that ready-to-assemble machine gun parts kits, just like silencer kits, were now regulated as machine guns and silencers themselves.

I seem to recall that prior to 1986 the NFA and the GCA of 1968 were interpreted to only apply to an assembled, functioning, machine gun or silencer.
You could have all the parts you wanted, as long as you didn't put them together without having previously gotten approval for your Form 1 build.

You could also have an open-bolt semi auto that was ridiculously easy to convert into a full-auto weapon. Just pull out one part and throw it away, or take a file to another part and spend 30 seconds scraping that part with your file and you would have a full auto ! ATF cracked down on those in the early 1980s.

Many companies and individuals were selling do-it-yourself machinegun conversion kits and "assemble yourself" silencer kits through mail order. And the AR15 conversion kits would fit into any AR-15 lower receiver on the market at the time because this was before ATF mandated that the internal geometry of the lower receivers be changed to not let the full auto fire control parts fit without significant milling & machining. Silencer kits, too, were sold in two sets. One set contained only internal parts --the baffles, the wipes, the spacers, whatever. The second part of the silencer kit was just the tube. Sometimes one company would sell both the kits and the tubes, but they would sell them separately; you could not order both at the same time and pay with one check. Had to be two orders.

Congress (in 1986) took note of how the gun industry was doing an end run around federal gun control laws, and they closed these loopholes by declaring that ready-to-assemble machine gun parts kits, just like silencer kits, were now regulated as machine guns and silencers themselves.

From my understanding, you are spot on. The issue that I'm bringing up is that people have incorrectly interpreted all of that to mean that they can't own M16 hammers, sears, disconnectors, triggers, and even BCG (yes I've read threads where people have warned others not to have FA BCG lol). This isn't the case, and those parts are not illegal to own. Heck, you can install the parts minus the sear if you so wish to, as long as you know for certain that the parts aren't going to malfunction and cause your AR to fire more than once during a trigger pull (hammer follow). I'm not suggesting people should install the parts, but it's not against any law. It is, however, against ATF suggestion because of the fact that it could cause hammer follow and result in you having what ATF classifies as a machine gun.

Also, for the third time, because I want to make sure anyone reading this fully understands, when people talk about auto sears needing to be registered, they are talking about the drop in auto sears, not the standard auto sear that needs the the 3rd hole to be installed. You'd be surprised how many people get these confused. An M16 sear is NOT ILLEGAL. Just DO NOT install it :)

Drop-in Auto Sears made prior to the 1981 ATF ruling that banned them as machine guns are still legal to own, and sell, but not legal to put into an AR.
Now, I've seen that shotgun news ad advertising pre-1981 auto shears for something like $110 these as were running as late as 2007 or so.

I have to wonder where they *really* 1981 or earlier auto sears?
Really? Nearly 30 years old, and STILL selling for just over 100 bucks ???
There's something suspicious about that.
That's something I always wondered about. There's a guy named Norell that made FA trigger packs for 10/22s. I studied up on them years ago when I had more money and credit. I always thought a FA 10/22 would be the ultimate full auto gun to own. Anyway as of 2 or maybe 3 years ago this Norell guy or his company STILL released maybe half a dozen transferable trigger pack every year. How in the hell does or did he have that many papered housings or trigger packs left over from 86?

Back
Top Bottom