• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing deer

DawgLink

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
2   0
Reaction score
I’ve hunted over 40 years and killed a freaking pile of deer in that time. Now of all these deer which would easily be 200 I have only field dressed probably 12 - 15 and 8 - 10 of those have been done the last 2 seasons. Do you field dress yours?

A metric **** ton early in life. Bought a place maybe a few here and there. Probably the best processor IMO is about 6 miles away. Makes great breakfast sausage, summer sausage, loins and cubes in Vacuum seals.

They get pissed if you gut them you introduce hair in their process.

Taken deer for 17 years to them

My
A metric **** ton early in life. Bought a place maybe a few here and there. Probably the best processor IMO is about 6 miles away. Makes great breakfast sausage, summer sausage, loins and cubes in Vacuum seals.

They get pissed if you gut them you introduce hair in their process.

Taken deer for 17 years to them
My kinda place

I used to be pretty quick at cleaning a deer. I would never gut it. Time has gotten me through. That back of mine is 💩 and I started taking them to a processor around 4 years ago

We field dress every single deer. Never taken one to a processor. Process on the ground or hang 'em from a gambrel on a tree. For us processing in the field is part of the overall adventure and experience. On real cold days getting your hands on that warm meat and body is a nice welcome hand warmer. Age that meat in a cooler over ice draining away and refilling for 7 days or so, then debone and cut, Package and freeze.
I was the same way until about 4 years ago except I didn’t field dress them. Never paid for a processor til then. I still quarter up a few and put in the cooler with ice. Got one in a cooler now on ice quartered up

I filed dressed most of mine. I always thought I owed it to the animal to do the work if it was going to feed me.

One or 2 it was just too cold so they got hauled to the processor and I paid the fee.

We field dress every single deer. Never taken one to a processor. Process on the ground or hang 'em from a gambrel on a tree. For us processing in the field is part of the overall adventure and experience. On real cold days getting your hands on that warm meat and body is a nice welcome hand warmer. Age that meat in a cooler over ice draining away and refilling for 7 days or so, then debone and cut, Package and freeze.

Do mine the same way. I've got a cubing machine, a grinder and a commercial vacuum sealer. Besides field dressing is the only way I can get the liver and heart. Damn good eating!
And I get way more meat off a deer than any processor I've found around here. Don't discount the shanks either they braise and slow cook deliciously!

Back
Top Bottom