• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Field dressing deer

i have used a processor maybe 3 times. i dont feel i get all the meat. i try and field dress them as quick as i can. get them guts out and let it cool. its Ga and may be 75 on Christmas day. anymore i bone out the hams, take the shoulders complete for stew or tamales, and any little cuts and trimmings i save for jerky or just throw in the stew. i am planning on making some sausage this year....
i kinda feel i owe the deer the work. its part of it, and a great skill to have....

Not sure I get I owe it to the animal mystique… It eats the same?

I love you are setting a tradition we have 8 in the 660 acres I own and lease.. I refuse to clean 5 deer fri and sat nights..

I also believe if we do the work to hunt and harvest the animal, then we are responsible for processing the animal, too. There is a high level of satisfaction when you hunt an animal in the wild, successfully harvest it, process it, and then eat it. The complete process start to finish you own it. Very rewarding. Watching my boy carry his first meat bag through the woods is a memory I will cherish for a long time.

View attachment 6567260

I do prefer a gambrel for processing.

View attachment 6567263

But there have been times the ground is the only feasible option.

View attachment 6567268
Heck yeah. I have cleaned many laying on the tailgate of my Tacoma

I usually get the meat without field dressing them. The only ones I field dress are the ones I take to the processor, I ain't paying $25 for what takes me 5 minutes to do, especially when I'm already spending $100 with them to grind it all up.

Not sure I get I owe it to the animal mystique… It eats the same?

I love you are setting a tradition we have 8 in the 660 acres I own and lease.. I refuse to clean 5 deer fri and sat nights..
I field dressed 4 in one day last season and that was a damn bunch in one day. I remember one time long ago I cleaned 3 deer myself at one time. Learned a lesson and have never shot more than 2 in one hunt since. I talked myself out of 3 opening evening

i have used a processor maybe 3 times. i dont feel i get all the meat. i try and field dress them as quick as i can. get them guts out and let it cool. its Ga and may be 75 on Christmas day. anymore i bone out the hams, take the shoulders complete for stew or tamales, and any little cuts and trimmings i save for jerky or just throw in the stew. i am planning on making some sausage this year....
i kinda feel i owe the deer the work. its part of it, and a great skill to have....
My cut off is 70 degrees. If hotter than that, I don't hunt

I field dressed 4 in one day last season and that was a damn bunch in one day. I remember one time long ago I cleaned 3 deer myself at one time. Learned a lesson and have never shot more than 2 in one hunt since. I talked myself out of 3 opening evening
I have taken as many as 3 at one time. Even 2 takes a half day or more. Tracking them down possibly, dressing them out and dragging them back to the truck

Back
Top Bottom