• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finally am taking the reloading plunge..

Casper

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
13   0
Reaction score
Been wanting to do this for a while but always found a gun i wanted more... the endless cycle must end. I have researched for a month and have come up with this list as a mid level start to the process.. Big Boss II press, RCBS Chargemaster Combo Scale, Lyman Case Master Xpress, Hornady Cam Lock Trimmer, Berry's Tumbler, Redding Full length Dies sets for 270 Win, 308, Win, and .338 Lapua. I already have calipers and funnels... any changes or suggestions from you gentlemen? Thanks, Casper PS Thanks Drtybiker for the tip on the masonite solid door!

You may want to look into some neck sizing dies as well. Fire formed brass ( brass that has been fired from a particular rifle) expands to custom fit your chamber perfectly. This is one of the advantages over factory spec brass that must fit every chamber in every gun.
A couple of Manuals I would recommend are the Sierra manual and the Nosler Manual. Both have accuracy load data gathered by techs with nearly unlimited resources who have done R&D using thousands of combinations. These accuracy loads may not be perfect for your rifle but are usually a very good place to start in finding what your rifle likes best.
Congratulations and shooting .338 Lapua is definitely gonna make this venture worthwhile.

You may want to look into some neck sizing dies as well. Fire formed brass ( brass that has been fired from a particular rifle) expands to custom fit your chamber perfectly. This is one of the advantages over factory spec brass that must fit every chamber in every gun.
A couple of Manuals I would recommend are the Sierra manual and the Nosler Manual. Both have accuracy load data gathered by techs with nearly unlimited resources who have done R&D using thousands of combinations. These accuracy loads may not be perfect for your rifle but are usually a very good place to start in finding what your rifle likes best.
Congratulations and shooting .338 Lapua is definitely gonna make this venture worthwhile.
Thanks BHJ! The .338 is really why I am making this decision now, ammo is "the big hurt".. All of the dies I have ordered have a neck sizing die but I hear conflicting information on whether to full length and set the shoulder back a .1000 or not?? Believe me I am still reading and open to all suggestions. Thanks for the reply!

I have had very good luck with the neck sizing dies. Currently my long range magnum is a .300 RUM. Not quite as pricy as the Lapua but still pricy at close to $3 per round for factory fodder. Premium handloads are about $.65 each. Here's my take on the dies. The neck sizer keeps from repeatedly stretching the brass unnecessarily and also allows the fired formed brass which fits your chamber perfectly to be utilized. I have found both increased accuracy and extended brass life using the neck sizing dies. I have some 30-06 cases which have been loaded over 20 times and I've only had to trim the length once. Of course I dont think you can expect quite that long of brass life with the Lapua but any extension in lifespan of those components is gonna add up to ca$h quick.
Good luck

Last edited:
That Chargemaster is nice but it isn't cheap. That's a heck of a way to start out. It will spoil you. Accurate, consistent, and easy to use.
Fuel thanks for the reply friend, I have been around 56 years and learned along time ago to buy the right stuff in the beginning and save in the long run.. the first 30 years of my life I made a lot of bad buys.

I have had very good luck with the neck sizing dies. Currently my long range magnum is a .300 RUM. Not quite as pricy as the Lapua but still pricy at close to $3 per round for factory fodder. Premium handloads are about $.65 each. Here's my take on the dies. The neck sizer keeps from repeatedly stretching the brass unnecessarily and also allows the fired formed brass which fits your chamber perfectly to be utilized. I have found both increased accuracy and extended brass life using the neck sizing dies. I have some 30-06 cases which have been loaded over 20 times and I've only had to trim the length once. Of course I dont think you can expect quite that long of brass life with the Lapua but any extension in lifespan of those components is gonna add up to ca$h quick.
Good luck
I would much rather just necksize BHJ but I have once fired Hornady .338 brass that is all coming in at about 2.725 and according to the Lyman manual I have, it needs to be trimmed to 2.714... do I need to trim? Not to ask a stupid question but I am a newb and have only fired this case one time?? Thanks Casper

Back
Top Bottom