• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally Got my Dual Sport!!

Excellent!

Got your riding gear? Pants, jacket, gloves, boots, helmet, and pads?

Only the ignorant or stupid venture forth without those, and you have been told, so do NOT fall into the stupid pile.....

Who was you instructor? Dirt or pavement?

Cool. Remember, You have to drive defensively and assume no one can see you. I own a ds also, absolutely love mine. It's the most versatile machine I have. Gear up and ride safe, and enjoy.

Plz remember this when riding the street: YOU ARE INVISIBLE. People will look straight at you and pull out in front of you. That's why I finally left the street....blind boneheads. Also, when you are stopped behind someone in traffic, leave yourself room for a quick scoot to the left or right due to the bonehead behind you not stopping. Use those mirrors to watch out for that special breed of bonehead. Other than riding defensively at all times, enjoy the solitude of the ride. A good ride can be a mind cleansing thing.

When you get comfortable, you should pack up a couple of your favorite pistols, and come see me. I have a very nice shooting spot that requires a bike or ATV to get to. Shoot all day fee free, and the ride out and back are awesome! Some pretty nice trails, creeks and wildlife...
I have an 01 XT225, and an 09 KLX250, love them both!

enjoy the new ride. great time of the year to explore. I was out for an hour or so yesterday and it's fun to explore a bit when the leaves are coming down but it can be very slick out there.

I've got a tagged KTM 450 and a 950 dual sport, stupid fun. sold me CBR a little while ago and mainly just ride off road and dual sport these days. Much more fun! Most of my street friends are slowly going to the dirt side of things, but mostly we do a lot of riding at Highland Park and some at Durhamtown. There's a group in Alabama that I do some great DS rides with...

ride a few months ago around Talladega National Forest area:

http://youtu.be/zoNrrK235mw

and the Spring Nutz ride:

http://youtu.be/C2hOV0J56DU

both rides were on my 950 super enduro...

SEwoods01.jpg

as others mention, get good gear. A good fitting helmet, goggles, boots, gloves and a jacket minimum. Usually when I ride I wear full gear (knee braces, pressure/armor suit, neck brace, good helmet, MX boots, etc). Buy good gear once and it'll last you a long time.

BTW anyone headed to the IMS show at Cobb Galleria this coming weekend? I'll be there saturday late afternoon. will more than likely ride the Super Enduro to the show if it's not crappy weather...

very nice guys! thanks for the info. I am working on getting all my gear. I have the helmet, glove and pants ... just looking for the right armored jacket. I am just hesitant on ordering online, not knowing what will fit right. Going to see some local stuff first.

geezer... thanks for the invite! I will definitely take you up on that offer once I get on the road.

My msf course was on pavement with a crf230m

Instructors were Peter and Shirley or sherie (terrible with names)

Trying to work out some carb issues presently. It stutters on acceleration in second gear. Probably around 1/3 - 1/2 throttle.

Going to disassemble, clean it up tonight and then verify/adjust float height. Carbs been drilled to allow access to the idle mixture screw so I should be able to get her running right so long as none of the jets/needles are damaged

I cut the crap outta my left hand so clutching is a bit difficult presently. It will give me a week or so to tune the carb and fix a few minor cosmetic issues. Oh well.

Last edited:
Check out Cycle Gear there in Marietta, they have awesome prices on clothing and boots, always a good sale....

http://www.cyclegear.com/

The Storm set is very nice for the price, and wears great! The blue would look good with your bike...

Helmet is the only thing I will not order online, but then I have a XXL oval head, so I always try before I buy...

SpeedyR, good looking KTM's, that 950 must be a brute on those narrow trails!

if you are looking for deals on gear, check out the international motorcycle show (IMS) at cobb galleria this weekend. there are discount codes online for tickets. usually a few vendors there selling decent gear (some of it is junk but worth checking out). I'll be there on my SE early evening Saturday to look around.

if you are looking for deals on gear, check out the international motorcycle show (IMS) at cobb galleria this weekend. there are discount codes online for tickets. usually a few vendors there selling decent gear (some of it is junk but worth checking out). I'll be there on my SE early evening Saturday to look around.

good info! thanks. I plan to spend my first half of the morning at the DMV to get my license. I have the MSF waiver, but still have to wait in that god forsaken line.

Getting there 2 hours before they open . I "should" be the first in and first out. We will see. I really despise DDS/DMV

Back
Top Bottom