• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finding Lead

Talos

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hew many foe-men.
66   0
Reaction score
I've found that a lot of wheel weights build up around busy intersections. I sometimes find between 5-8 pounds at a time. This may not be the best option for someone who shoots several hundred rounds a month, but for the casual shooter/reloader. Over the past 2 years I've collected probably 70 pounds of free lead just by picking up from the side of the road.

The newer wheel weights are not lead. They are a steel alloy or steel with a zinc plating. Thanks to the EPA looking out for those who eat wheel weights.
I know, I scratch them across the pavement to make that determination. I can usually tell just by appearance. Sound and feel can also tell me. Call me the lead whisperer.

I did the same for a while when I started casting. No telling how many pounds I picked up. I tend to look out the window of my vehicle when stopped and look for them. If I have time before light changes, I have jumped out and picked them up. Bet folks are wondering what the heck I am doing. But Alas, most these days are Zinc, ugghhhh.

Rosewood

I did the same for a while when I started casting. No telling how many pounds I picked up. I tend to look out the window of my vehicle when stopped and look for them. If I have time before light changes, I have jumped out and picked them up. Bet folks are wondering what the heck I am doing. But Alas, most these days are Zinc, ugghhhh.

Rosewood
Yeah, I probably look like a crackhead wandering up the road and back. I mostly find lead though. Just a few zinc or steel.

If you have any friends that work at marinas, ask them about scraped sails boats. The keels are packed full of lead. Also your dentist, the xray films contain lead, He prolly has jugs full.

Back
Top Bottom