• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearms on a commercial airplane.

Where does it say I can't in the Constitution? What if an airline said they allowed it?

Speaking strictly from a US point of view, and assuming an alphabet agency did not forbid it (and they would), there's nothing otherwise to stop a specific airline from permitting its customers to be armed on a flight. Passengers would have to be compliant with laws on the ground at the departure and arrival airports (again, a challenge because of current laws), but it's not impossible to believe that an airline COULD consider letting its customers to be armed.

The challenge would be, of course, getting someone to insure the airline. You'd also have to fill the flight with people who are prepared to be surrounded by other armed strangers.

Of course, as complicated as that would be for domestic routes, it would be even more complicated for international flights. What would the pasenger carrying an S&W 686 do when he touches down at Montreal airport - other than be arrested?

Speaking strictly from a US point of view, and assuming an alphabet agency did not forbid it (and they would), there's nothing otherwise to stop a specific airline from permitting its customers to be armed on a flight. Passengers would have to be compliant with laws on the ground at the departure and arrival airports (again, a challenge because of current laws), but it's not impossible to believe that an airline COULD consider letting its customers to be armed.

The challenge would be, of course, getting someone to insure the airline. You'd also have to fill the flight with people who are prepared to be surrounded by other armed strangers.

Of course, as complicated as that would be for domestic routes, it would be even more complicated for international flights. What would the pasenger carrying an S&W 686 do when he touches down at Montreal airport - other than be arrested?
I thought there was a specific Federal law prohibiting taking a firearm into controlled airport space, barring certain exceptions. And that there is no such law against knives (hence no one gets arrested for that, just a "rule" violation, like a 5 oz. bottle of liquid). And definitely cigarette lighters are illegal past the checkpoint, but the TSA just ignores that these days.

It's a fairly standard LE-type course of fire, and has nothing to do with FAMS specifically.

Start with 3 mags loaded with 6 rounds each.

That's the "front half" of the course. A total of 36 rounds for a possible 180 point.

"Back half":

24 rounds on the back half. Total of 60 rounds. Possible score of 300.

This is the standard course of fire used by most every Fed agency. Passing for everyone but the FAMS is 210. FAMS have to get a 255.
CMshoot, is that 210 and 255 out of 480?

I thought there was a specific Federal law prohibiting taking a firearm into controlled airport space, barring certain exceptions. And that there is no such law against knives (hence no one gets arrested for that, just a "rule" violation, like a 5 oz. bottle of liquid). And definitely cigarette lighters are illegal past the checkpoint, but the TSA just ignores that these days.

Sure, and probably a raft of other regulations. And that's the point.

In order to 'carry on a flight operated by an airline that was prepared to permit it', there are a number of other barriers to doing so that are unrelated to the flight itself as you say - access to airport facilities, gun ownership laws on the ground at the departure and destination locations etc.

I guess that if you owned a couple of airstrips and you could convince a commercial flight operator to serve between those two points, they might be receptive to passengers carrying.

Are their any private pilots here that carry when they fly?

That’s it. You’ve got to be smooth and flawless for the TPC. It punishes mistakes severely.

For insane, you gotta run the Triple Nickel.
Now you made me look up the
triple nickel.

No way could I accomplish that, considering there's a mandatory reload involved. Maybe without trying to swap mags, I might have a chance after a few warm up runs.

Now you made me look up the
triple nickel.

No way could I accomplish that, considering there's a mandatory reload involved. Maybe without trying to swap mags, I might have a chance after a few warm up runs.

You have to pass the course of fire 3 times in the same day in order to truly pass the 555, and get a coin with your number on it.

I believe we're currently at something like 370 Triple Nickel holders, after close to 15 years of offering this course of fire. I'm #58.

You have to pass the course of fire 3 times in the same day in order to truly pass the 555, and get a coin with your number on it.

I believe we're currently at something like 370 Triple Nickel holders, after close to 15 years of offering this course of fire. I'm #58.
Who can administer this test for an official score?

Sure, and probably a raft of other regulations. And that's the point.

In order to 'carry on a flight operated by an airline that was prepared to permit it', there are a number of other barriers to doing so that are unrelated to the flight itself as you say - access to airport facilities, gun ownership laws on the ground at the departure and destination locations etc.

I guess that if you owned a couple of airstrips and you could convince a commercial flight operator to serve between those two points, they might be receptive to passengers carrying.

Are their any private pilots here that carry when they fly?
I've carried a large folding knife on a private jet. Could have just as easily been a gun, but we were crossing borders.

The private flights I've been on otherwise have all boarded/taken off/landed outside TSA control. Drive up to the private "jetport", get out of the car and into the aircraft. Same on the other end-- out of aircraft, into car. No TSA. No sterile area. But... not anywhere in physical contact with the commercial parts of the airport, including at Hartsfield, though you do use the same runways if in fixed-wing.

In Alaska, private pilots have to have a gun on board as part of their mandated survival gear. Per the internet, for whatever that's worth.

Back
Top Bottom