• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Benchmade...sharpening

All you need is a coffee cup and cereal box... Use the bottom rim of ceramic coffee cup to sharpen the blade and strop it with the cardboard cereal box. :)

LOL Friend of mine recommends the edge of a car side window and bluejeans while watching TV

A buddy of mine has the Lansky but he doesn't love it. I will have to ask him for more detail and see why.

The stones are fairly thin, there's too much back and forth. The jig won't hold the blade super tight, it will occasionally slip. Knives with a dramatic slope to the blade might need to be gripped twice, one to sharpen the end and one for the body. It's fine for me, but I could definitely see where spending more could get you something better.

I use a cheap 1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight. I start with a 320 grit belt then finish with a leather belt. This gets knives scary sharp.

The sanderror was about $30 and I bought $20 woth of belts which should last a couple of years.

You have stepped into some nice knives and now learning to sharpen well is important. A good step is a Spyderco Sharpmaker... Manual sharpening is slower and less likely to damage a blade. The Ken Onion version of the work sharp is great but a bit difficult for a newbie... If you get one, Definitely do a TON of kitchen knives before doing any folders and get a cheap flipper knife to practice on before doing your ZT or other flippers.
I like mine but do not profess to be great with it yet... Do plan to go to the Blade Show at the Cobb Galleria in Jume!!

I will definitively be sharpening every knife in my kitchen, shop, and all my cheap pocket knives before I touch one of these nice knifes. What is the difference, as far as sharpening is concerned, between the folders and flippers?

Oh and the Blade Show....I probably should stay clear :lol:

Last edited:
I use a cheap 1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight. I start with a 320 grit belt then finish with a leather belt. This gets knives scary sharp.

The sanderror was about $30 and I bought $20 woth of belts which should last a couple of years.

I was thinking of possibly buying a belt sander instead. The only practical difference I can see between a 1x30 and the worksharp is the plastic knife block. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
I use different grades of sand paper then a leather strap. If you're not familiar with blade sharpening get the Lansky sharpening system and a leather strap

What is the difference, as far as sharpening is concerned, between the folders and flippers?

Oh and the Blade Show....I probably should stay clear :lol:

the flipper makes the work sharp very awkward with the guides... Definitely more complex!
If you go once you will ALWAYS go back!! A must see!!

I was thinking of possibly buying a belt sander instead. The only practical difference I can see between a 1x30 and the worksharp is the plastic knife block. Am I wrong?

The worksharp has a plastic guide to use,but you really don't need it. Just a little practice with cheap kitchen knives at about a 20 deg angle and it makes for a quick even convex edge. You are limited to to the number of grits of belts with the worksharp and I don't believe they offer a leather belt for stropping.

The 320 grit belts I use on the 1x30 is a pretty fine grit belt so the chance of damaging a blade is slim.
My son sharpened his Benchmade and can slice toilet paper with it it's so sharp.

Very close but the work sharp and the attachments are handy, variable speed, and easier to start/stop

I don't care to much for the work sharp, the spyderco sharpmaker is a good start but I prefer the DMT diamond stones over anything. They are a little pricey but well worth the investment.

Get a good strop such as the flexx strop or simply just make your own. BK&T compound from Lowes is what I use on my strops and is available in many different grits.

Back
Top Bottom