• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Benchmade...sharpening

I also use the Lanskey. I didn't like it much until I stumbled upon this...

Now I cant imagine sharpening with anything else. The jig he has can be built for basically nothing. I used a scrap 2x4 1x4 and 3/8" dowel. I also recommend covering the edges with electrical tape. All around, this dude make some really sick stuff. I've watched all his videos, and if it weren't for the 6 month wait time, I would have one.

I picked up one of the ken onion worksharps at northern tool last month because I thought it would be a faster way to keep my knives, especially the serrated edges sharp. My grandfather taught me how to sharpen using stones and a leather belt when I was still in single digits, never used anything else until I got the KO sharpener. I got KO because first, I had a $20 off coupon and second almost all of my knives have partial serrations and it looked like the KO would be the fastest way to sharpen everything.

Turns out the KO sharpener is just as if not more time consuming as using stones. On the initial sharpening using the KO, you have to have to run through several of the different grit belts to reshape the edges to the belt system. It should be a little faster touching up edges now that I have several knives reshaped to the belt profile but I'm still learning how to use it so I'm going slow compared to some of the videos I've watched.

My best result so far has been with a benchmade rift, some of the other knives were sharp but not what I would consider scarey sharp like the rift.

Unless you absolutely suck at sharpening freehand with stones and have a coupon, I'd pass on the KO sharpener, it just doesn't WOW me. Even if you do get the KO or one of the guided sharpening systems I'd strongly suggest you learn how to sharpen freehand. You never know when you'll be away from the house and need to sharpen or touch up a blade and that fancy belt or guide sharpening system is nowhere near. You don't even need fancy Arkansas or imported stones, all this guy uses is a cinderblock and a brick to get a $5 knife shaving sharp. I've tried it and it really works.

Back
Top Bottom