• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Benchmade...sharpening

Hmm
I have a couple of knives and my son has a bunch
We gotta get something to sharpen em with
We have a couple of stones but just can't seem to get a good edge that will last.

And some have serrated bladed
What's best sharpener for serrated ?

Hmm
I have a couple of knives and my son has a bunch
We gotta get something to sharpen em with
We have a couple of stones but just can't seem to get a good edge that will last.

And some have serrated bladed
What's best sharpener for serrated ?

DMT makes a good little diamond rod that is tapered. Use this to tune up the serrated grooves. Works fine.

Bench made knives all come with life sharp, all you do is call BMO they give you a RMA# and you mail it in and it gets a new factory edge and the mail it back. Depending on the age it might cost around $5 for newer one , older one's are free minus postage there
i've done this twice

I have a Wicked Edge sharpener. It was quite expensive but it's the best knife sharpener on the market in my opinion. It's made the difference in carrying vs using knifes. I used to never use my knives in fear of dulling them and not being able to put a good edge back on it. I've also heard good things about the edge pro apex system.

I have a Lansky, but honestly found the clamp and rods to be a hassle. I now use a Spyderco sharpmaker. I really, really like it. Have to shop around or catch it on sale.

The triangle rods can be used to touch up serrations and there's a groove in the finishing rods for sharpening fishing hooks. Go online and watch their instructional video. Pretty good system.

I tried WorkSharp-- quickly stopped, as I was destroying everything I put on it. Clearly not the system for me.

Used Lansky for years-- it was the first thing I was ever able to use to create a sharp edge. But the rods bend, and the angle changes at different points on the blade, as they are different distances from the rod/clamp intersection point. Not ideal and not even acceptable for longer blades.

Have not tried the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Have tried the paper wheels on a grinder. That works OK, but like with the Worksharp, you have to be careful.

Currently what I am using is a clamp, and water stones. DMT has a plastic clamp that works well. Keep the surface contacting part on the tabletop, and you can get a consistent angle on large knives, though having a larger stone helps a lot. The water stones leave a mirror finish on the edge. This is the best arrangement I've found, but it's still a PITA, and a delicate operation to get the clamp adjusted for the right angle of contact on the stone.

Back
Top Bottom