• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Bike - Need Some pointers

image.jpg

Take the course for sure

I'd reccomend getting a used bike
You WILL drop it and dent it

Nothing wrong with starting small and a year later selling I and gettin a bigger bike when youre comfortable with it

Was your first car a new corvette?
No. You started with something used and affordable to learn to drive then got a faster heaver more expensive car

My first bike was a Honda Trail 90
I put 5000 miles on it

Had an absolute blast riding it on hwy 180 between Vogel and Suches

yes a year later I got a Honda XL 250

Somewhere between 250 and 400 is a great beginner bike

Get a used japanese bike. Do not bother looking at the Chinese ones

Don't get a black jacket and helmet

Get the construction worker green or orange armored jacket and a light colored brain bucket

Your body has far more visible surface area than the bike

Got to love those trail 90's. I have been thinking about getting one and reconditioning it just for old time sake.
a group of 5 guys just did the transamerican trail on trail 90's. it was really cool following their progress on Facebook.

Last edited:
Yeah, after seeing alot of videos on the various dual sport options and aside from acceleration and top speed, folks seem to love this bike. While, I would love to have a faster bike, I do not think it is prudent (for me) to start off with one.

I will be stuck in traffic for most of this bikes life and for the rest it will be off road where this model seems to shine with the low/mid range

After all, there is a reason I got out of mercedes and into lifted jeeps. lol

Basically, if I have the opportunity and/or ability to go fast.... i do. So knowing myself, I simply removed the opportunity and/or ability. Viola... no more speeding tickets and lower insurance!

haha.

If you anticipate stuck in traffic make sure it is water cooled and not air cooled.

Yeah, after seeing alot of videos on the various dual sport options and aside from acceleration and top speed, folks seem to love this bike. While, I would love to have a faster bike, I do not think it is prudent (for me) to start off with one.

I will be stuck in traffic for most of this bikes life and for the rest it will be off road where this model seems to shine with the low/mid range

After all, there is a reason I got out of mercedes and into lifted jeeps. lol

Basically, if I have the opportunity and/or ability to go fast.... i do. So knowing myself, I simply removed the opportunity and/or ability. Viola... no more speeding tickets and lower insurance!

haha.
So you drive a Yugo?
People don't realize, anemic bikes ARE a 'safety' issue. If you HONESTLY feel you can't control your wrist, don't get a bike.

The 250 sportbikes and 250 dualsports are two different worlds. I have heard many stories of the 250 sportbikes whopping the 600s and 750s in the twisties. But a 250 dual sport is just a trail bike with road tires. Tranny gearing is totally different between the two. The guy you quoted is skewed on his idea about 250s bad lol.

I'm 6 feet tall an 170 pounds and I ride a 2012 ninja 250....I don't know about that guys comment about 250 riders being scared of bikes. I've been on 3 1000+ cc cruisers and a 600 cbr and never was scared of the bigger bikes. I bought the 250 for commuting. people that have never been on them think they top out at 70mph...untrue ive gone 100 on mine before. and they do handle better in twisties because of their weight. I was up in north GA and my friend has his cbr 600 and I was infront the whole time taking every turn faster than him... seems like people think CC displacement is EGO size...riding is riding.....they freakin use em in Moto GP races. People that don't know crap about em put em down, but they serve the purpose they are intended for.

I'm 6 feet tall an 170 pounds and I ride a 2012 ninja 250....I don't know about that guys comment about 250 riders being scared of bikes. I've been on 3 1000+ cc cruisers and a 600 cbr and never was scared of the bigger bikes. I bought the 250 for commuting. people that have never been on them think they top out at 70mph...untrue ive gone 100 on mine before. and they do handle better in twisties because of their weight. I was up in north GA and my friend has his cbr 600 and I was infront the whole time taking every turn faster than him... seems like people think CC displacement is EGO size...riding is riding.....they freakin use em in Moto GP races. People that don't know crap about em put em down, but they serve the purpose they are intended for.
A 250 Ninja is not the same animal as a 250 DS.

Back
Top Bottom