• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First problems with reloads need help

Never had a failure with CCI and I've used several hundred thousand. 99 percent of time these failures are improperly seated primers

I got a couple thousand bad CCI primers. Was having problems with a new Colt, they referred me to CCI after investigating. Yup, bad lot of primers, they were too soft and were piercing with anything other than low pressure loads.

They (CCI) sent me a check for the bad primers

Those primers have dents, obviously defective....

Getting them wet , sounds like you figured it out

Agreed!
there is plenty of primer dimple in my opinion to light the primers off. somehow the primer got contaminated I believe and so its not a live primer any longer.
CCI primers have a tougher to ignite primer compound but honestly I have no to very,vey little problem with them and certainly never with the type of dent thats in the Op primer pictures.

Looks to be: Contaminated Primers.

Oil or Water likely ... And "Yes" primer pockets are the very last thing to dry if you wash the cases!
I always give them 24 hours Air Dry or 300 degrees in the oven for 30 or more minutes ... and cooled to room temperature Oh, and I always de-prime and size them before cleaning them so as to assure that any lube used is washed away. My case Lube is rather simple anyhow: Lanolin and 99% Alcohol. After bath and drying, I inspect them by placing them in a case gauge ... eliminating "Glock Bulge" candidates, split-lips, funky rims, and primer pockets that are obviously too fouled to reload.

Extra Work? Well, not to me!

Sounds like water or oil may have been the problem. However, CCIs are the hardest primers and are not always reliable in striker fired guns (I know you have a hammer). I have a striker fired gun that had issues with light strikes (which isn't what you are having) and after some reading, I swapped to Federal SP primers. Gun has run flawlessly since. Have a friend that reloads a lot and shoots a lot of different Glocks, he said the same thing. He only runs Federals in striker fired pistols and that seems to solve that issue. Problem is, Federals are hard to find around here.

One other thing to check, might want to make sure the firing pin and tunnel are clean, is possible that it is dirty and the firing pin is dragging and not hitting the primer fast enough to ignite. Again, with the depth of your strikes, this is probably not the issue, but something to check.

I do recommend CCIs in AR15s though, with the floating firing pin that taps the primer when the bolt closes, the extra hardness is a good thing.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom